Spin-Swapping Transport and Torques in Ultrathin Magnetic Bilayers
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPlanar spin transport in disordered ultrathin magnetic bilayers comprising a ferromagnet and a normal metal (typically used for spin pumping, spin Seebeck and spin-orbit torque experiments) is investigated theoretically. Using a tight-binding model that puts the extrinsic spin Hall effect and spin swapping on equal footing, we show that the nature of spin-orbit coupled transport dramatically depends on the ratio between the layer thickness d and the mean free path λ. While the spin Hall effect dominates in the diffusive limit (d≫λ), spin swapping dominates in the Knudsen regime (d≲λ). A remarkable consequence is that spin swapping induces a substantial fieldlike torque in the Knudsen regime.
CitationSpin-Swapping Transport and Torques in Ultrathin Magnetic Bilayers 2016, 117 (3) Physical Review Letters
SponsorsA. M. acknowledges the inspiring discussions with T. Valet and H. B. M. S. thanks S. Feki and B. Hadri for their valuable technical support. This work was supported by the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
PublisherAmerican Physical Society (APS)
JournalPhysical Review Letters
- Spin Hall and Spin Swapping Torques in Diffusive Ferromagnets.
- Authors: Pauyac CO, Chshiev M, Manchon A, Nikolaev SA
- Issue date: 2018 Apr 27
- Spin-transfer torque in ferromagnetic bilayers generated by anomalous Hall effect and anisotropic magnetoresistance.
- Authors: Taniguchi T, Grollier J, Stiles MD
- Issue date: 2016
- Quantifying interface and bulk contributions to spin-orbit torque in magnetic bilayers.
- Authors: Fan X, Celik H, Wu J, Ni C, Lee KJ, Lorenz VO, Xiao JQ
- Issue date: 2014
- Spin diffusion and torques in disordered antiferromagnets.
- Authors: Manchon A
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 15
- Spin-orbit torques in Co/Pd multilayer nanowires.
- Authors: Jamali M, Narayanapillai K, Qiu X, Loong LM, Manchon A, Yang H
- Issue date: 2013 Dec 13