Molecular Design of Semiconducting Polymers for High-Performance Organic Electrochemical Transistors
AuthorsNielsen, Christian B.
Niazi, Muhammad Rizwan
Hanifi, David A.
Malliaras, George G.
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe organic electrochemical transistor (OECT), capable of transducing small ionic fluxes into electronic signals in an aqueous envi-ronment, is an ideal device to utilize in bioelectronic applications. Currently, most OECTs are fabricated with commercially availa-ble conducting poly(3,4-ethylenedioxythiophene) (PEDOT)-based suspensions and are therefore operated in depletion mode. Here, we present a series of semiconducting polymers designed to elucidate important structure-property guidelines required for accumulation mode OECT operation. We discuss key aspects relating to OECT performance such as ion and hole transport, elec-trochromic properties, operational voltage and stability. The demonstration of our molecular design strategy is the fabrication of accumulation mode OECTs that clearly outperform state-of-the-art PEDOT based devices, and show stability under aqueous oper-ation without the need for formulation additives and cross-linkers.
CitationMolecular Design of Semiconducting Polymers for High-Performance Organic Electrochemical Transistors 2016 Journal of the American Chemical Society
SponsorsThis work was carried out with financial support from EC FP7 Project SC2 (610115), EC FP7 Project ArtESun (604397), EC FP7 Project PolyMed (612538), and EPSRC Project EP/G037515/1. E.B. thanks the Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness for his predoctoral contract. M.S. acknowledges support from the first edition of the BBVA Foundation Grants for Researchers and Cultural Creators.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Complementary Logic Circuits Based on High-Performance n-Type Organic Electrochemical Transistors.
- Authors: Sun H, Vagin M, Wang S, Crispin X, Forchheimer R, Berggren M, Fabiano S
- Issue date: 2018 Mar
- Controlling the mode of operation of organic transistors through side-chain engineering.
- Authors: Giovannitti A, Sbircea DT, Inal S, Nielsen CB, Bandiello E, Hanifi DA, Sessolo M, Malliaras GG, McCulloch I, Rivnay J
- Issue date: 2016 Oct 25
- PEDOT: Dye-Based, Flexible Organic Electrochemical Transistor for Highly Sensitive pH Monitoring.
- Authors: Mariani F, Gualandi I, Tessarolo M, Fraboni B, Scavetta E
- Issue date: 2018 Jul 5
- Concentric-Electrode Organic Electrochemical Transistors: Case Study for Selective Hydrazine Sensing.
- Authors: Pecqueur S, Lenfant S, Guérin D, Alibart F, Vuillaume D
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 11