Porous-Hybrid Polymers as Platforms for Heterogeneous Photochemical Catalysis
AuthorsHaikal, Rana R.
Hassan, Youssef S.
Parida, Manas R.
Mohammed, Omar F.
Pellechia, Perry J.
Alkordi, Mohamed H.
KAUST DepartmentChemical Science Program
KAUST Solar Center (KSC)
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Ultrafast Laser Spectroscopy and Four-dimensional Electron Imaging Research Group
Online Publication Date2016-07-28
Print Publication Date2016-08-10
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/617556
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA number of permanently porous polymers containing Ru(bpy)n photosensitizer or a cobaloxime complex, as a proton-reduction catalyst, were constructed via one-pot Sonogashira-Hagihara (SH) cross-coupling reactions. This process required minimal workup to access porous platforms with control over the apparent surface area, pore volume, and chemical functionality from suitable molecular building blocks (MBBs) containing the Ru or Co complexes, as rigid and multi-topic nodes. The cobaloxime molecular building block, generated through in situ metalation, afforded a microporous solid that demonstrated noticeable catalytic activity towards hydrogen-evolution reaction (HER) with remarkable recyclability. We further demonstrated, in two cases, the ability to affect the excited state lifetime of the covalently-immobilized Ru(bpy)3 complex attained through deliberate utilization of the organic linkers of variable dimensions. Overall, this approach facilitates construction of tunable porous solids, with hybrid composition and pronounced chemical and physical stability, based on the well-known Ru(bpy)nor the cobaloxime complexes.
CitationPorous-Hybrid Polymers as Platforms for Heterogeneous Photochemical Catalysis 2016 ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces
SponsorsThe authors acknowledge the Egyptian Science and Technology Development Fund (STDF-6125) and Zewail City of Science and Technology Startup fund. We acknowledge financial support from the Paris Sciences et Lettres (PSL) Research University and from Foundation de l’Orangerie for individual Philanthropy and its donors.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Fluorine-Phenanthroimidazole Porous Organic Polymer: Efficient Microwave Synthesis and Photocatalytic Activity.
- Authors: Monterde C, Navarro R, Iglesias M, Sánchez F
- Issue date: 2019 Jan 23
- A solid chelating ligand: periodic mesoporous organosilica containing 2,2'-bipyridine within the pore walls.
- Authors: Waki M, Maegawa Y, Hara K, Goto Y, Shirai S, Yamada Y, Mizoshita N, Tani T, Chun WJ, Muratsugu S, Tada M, Fukuoka A, Inagaki S
- Issue date: 2014 Mar 12
- Metalloporphyrin-Based Hypercrosslinked Polymers Catalyze Hetero-Diels-Alder Reactions of Unactivated Aldehydes with Simple Dienes: A Fascinating Strategy for the Construction of Heterogeneous Catalysts.
- Authors: Dou Z, Xu L, Zhi Y, Zhang Y, Xia H, Mu Y, Liu X
- Issue date: 2016 Jul 11
- Making oxygen with ruthenium complexes.
- Authors: Concepcion JJ, Jurss JW, Brennaman MK, Hoertz PG, Patrocinio AO, Murakami Iha NY, Templeton JL, Meyer TJ
- Issue date: 2009 Dec 21
- Reactivity of CO2 Activated on Transition Metals and Sulfur Ligands.
- Authors: Kobayashi K, Tanaka K
- Issue date: 2015 Jun 1