KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
KAUST Environmental Epigenetics Research Program (KEEP)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOxidative stress has a significant impact on the development and progression of common human pathologies, including cancer, diabetes, hypertension and neurodegenerative diseases. Increasing evidence suggests that oxidative stress globally influences chromatin structure, DNA methylation, enzymatic and non-enzymatic post-translational modifications of histones and DNA-binding proteins. The effects of oxidative stress on these chromatin alterations mediate a number of cellular changes, including modulation of gene expression, cell death, cell survival and mutagenesis, which are disease-driving mechanisms in human pathologies. Targeting oxidative stress-dependent pathways is thus a promising strategy for the prevention and treatment of these diseases. We summarize recent research developments connecting oxidative stress and chromatin regulation.
CitationOxidative stress signaling to chromatin in health and disease 2016, 8 (6):843 Epigenomics
SponsorsThe research reported in this publication was supported by funding from King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST). The authors have no other relevant affiliations or financial involvement with any organization or entity with a financial interest in or financial conflict with the subject matter or materials discussed in the manuscript apart from those disclosed.
PublisherFuture Medicine Ltd
- Oxidative stress and chromatin remodeling in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and smoking-related diseases.
- Authors: Sundar IK, Yao H, Rahman I
- Issue date: 2013 May 20
- Epigenetics in cancer: targeting chromatin modifications.
- Authors: Ellis L, Atadja PW, Johnstone RW
- Issue date: 2009 Jun
- Targeting epigenetic regulations in cancer.
- Authors: Ning B, Li W, Zhao W, Wang R
- Issue date: 2016 Jan
- Reversible acetylation of non histone proteins: role in cellular function and disease.
- Authors: Batta K, Das C, Gadad S, Shandilya J, Kundu TK
- Issue date: 2007
- Histone onco-modifications.
- Authors: Füllgrabe J, Kavanagh E, Joseph B
- Issue date: 2011 Aug 4