Efficient electrochemical water oxidation in neutral and near-neutral systems by nanoscale silver-oxide catalyst
KAUST DepartmentChemical Science Program
Environmental Science and Engineering Program
KAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/617535
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn electrocatalytic water splitting systems pursuing for renewable energy using sun light, developing robust, stable and easy accessible materials operating under mild chemical conditions is pivotal. We present here unique nano-particulate type silver-oxide (AgOx-NP) based robust and highly stable electrocatalyst for efficient water oxidation. The AgOx-NP is generated in situ in a HCO3–/CO2 system under benign conditions. Mircographs show that they exhibit nanoscale box type squared nano-bipyramidal configuration. The oxygen generation is initiated at low overpotential, and a sustained O2 evolution current density of > 1.1 mA cm–2 is achieved during prolonged-period water electrolysis. The AgOx-NP electrocatalyst performs exceptionally well in metal-ions free neutral or near-neutral carbonate, phosphate and borate buffers relative to recently reported Co-oxide and Ni-oxide based heterogeneous electrocatalysts, which are unstable in metal-ions free electrolyte and tend to degrade with time and lose catalytic performance during long-term experimental tests.
CitationEfficient electrochemical water oxidation in neutral and near-neutral systems by nanoscale silver-oxide catalyst 2016 Nanoscale
SponsorsK.S. Joya acknowledges research funding from the Higher Education Commission (HEC), Government of Pakistan and Leiden University/BioSolar Cells for the research support and facilities. The authors are thankful to Mr. Verhoeven Tiny (TU-Eindhoven) for the XPS experiments and greatly acknowledge the assistance of Dr. Dalaver Anjum (Imaging and Characterization Lab, KAUST) in TEM and related analyses.
PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
- A Robust Molecular Catalyst Generated In Situ for Photo- and Electrochemical Water Oxidation.
- Authors: Younus HA, Ahmad N, Chughtai AH, Vandichel M, Busch M, Van Hecke K, Yusubov M, Song S, Verpoort F
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 9
- Atomically monodisperse nickel nanoclusters as highly active electrocatalysts for water oxidation.
- Authors: Joya KS, Sinatra L, AbdulHalim LG, Joshi CP, Hedhili MN, Bakr OM, Hussain I
- Issue date: 2016 May 14
- Bimetallic Nickel-Substituted Cobalt-Borate Nanowire Array: An Earth-Abundant Water Oxidation Electrocatalyst with Superior Activity and Durability at Near Neutral pH.
- Authors: Ma M, Qu F, Ji X, Liu D, Hao S, Du G, Asiri AM, Yao Y, Chen L, Sun X
- Issue date: 2017 Jul
- Electrochemical Water Oxidation Catalyzed by an In Situ Generated α-Co(OH)<sub>2</sub> Film on Zeolite-Y Surface.
- Authors: Bose S, Debgupta J, Ramsundar RM, Das SK
- Issue date: 2017 Jun 12
- Interconnected Network of Core-Shell CoP@CoBiPi for Efficient Water Oxidation Electrocatalysis under Near Neutral Conditions.
- Authors: Cui L, Qu F, Liu J, Du G, Asiri AM, Sun X
- Issue date: 2017 Apr 10