Organic micropollutants in aerobic and anaerobic membrane bioreactors: Changes in microbial communities and gene expression
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Environmental Science and Engineering Program
Water Desalination and Reuse Research Center (WDRC)
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/617317
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOrganic micro-pollutants (OMPs) are contaminants of emerging concern in wastewater treatment due to the risk of their proliferation into the environment, but their impact on the biological treatment process is not well understood. The purpose of this study is to examine the effects of the presence of OMPs on the core microbial populations of wastewater treatment. Two nanofiltration-coupled membrane bioreactors (aerobic and anaerobic) were subjected to the same operating conditions while treating synthetic municipal wastewater spiked with OMPs. Microbial community dynamics, gene expression levels, and antibiotic resistance genes were analyzed using molecular-based approaches. Results showed that presence of OMPs in the wastewater feed had a clear effect on keystone bacterial populations in both the aerobic and anaerobic sludge while also significantly impacting biodegradation-associated gene expression levels. Finally, multiple antibiotic-type OMPs were found to have higher removal rates in the anaerobic MBR, while associated antibiotic resistance genes were lower.
CitationOrganic micropollutants in aerobic and anaerobic membrane bioreactors: Changes in microbial communities and gene expression 2016 Bioresource Technology
SponsorsThe authors thank Y. Mao for providing the Perl scripts used for OTU sequence analysis and gene database information extraction. This study was partially funded by the KAUST Academic Partnership Program grant (PID 7000000105) and by the KAUST Center Competitive Funding Program grant (FCC/1/1971-06-01) awarded to P.-Y. Hong.
- A UASB reactor coupled to a hybrid aerobic MBR as innovative plant configuration to enhance the removal of organic micropollutants.
- Authors: Alvarino T, Suárez S, Garrido M, Lema JM, Omil F
- Issue date: 2016 Feb
- Performance and microbial community composition in a long-term sequential anaerobic-aerobic bioreactor operation treating coking wastewater.
- Authors: Joshi DR, Zhang Y, Tian Z, Gao Y, Yang M
- Issue date: 2016 Sep
- Sequential anaerobic-aerobic treatment of pharmaceutical wastewater with high salinity.
- Authors: Shi X, Lefebvre O, Ng KK, Ng HY
- Issue date: 2014 Feb
- Aerobic and anaerobic membrane bioreactors for municipal wastewater treatment.
- Authors: Baek SH, Pagilla KR
- Issue date: 2006 Feb
- Effect of hydraulic retention time and sludge recirculation on greenhouse gas emission and related microbial communities in two-stage membrane bioreactor treating solid waste leachate.
- Authors: Nuansawan N, Boonnorat J, Chiemchaisri W, Chiemchaisri C
- Issue date: 2016 Jun