Advanced fabrication method for the preparation of MOF thin films: Liquid-phase epitaxy approach meets spin coating method.
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Chemical Science Program
Advanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center
Functional Materials Design, Discovery and Development (FMD3)
Advanced Membranes and Porous Materials Center (AMPMC)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHere we report a new and advanced method for the fabrication of highly oriented/polycrystalline metal-organic framework (MOF) thin films. Building on the attractive features of the liquid-phase epitaxy (LPE) approach, a facile spin coating method was implemented to generate MOF thin films in a high-throughput fashion. Advantageously, this approach offers a great prospective to cost-effectively construct thin-films with a significantly shortened preparation time and a lessened chemicals and solvents consumption, as compared to the conventional LPE-process. Certainly, this new spin-coating approach has been implemented successfully to construct various MOF thin films, ranging in thickness from a few micrometers down to the nanometer scale, spanning 2-D and 3-D benchmark MOF materials including Cu2(bdc)2•xH2O, Zn2(bdc)2•xH2O, HKUST-1 and ZIF-8. This method was appraised and proved effective on a variety of substrates comprising functionalized gold, silicon, glass, porous stainless steel and aluminum oxide. The facile, high-throughput and cost-effective nature of this approach, coupled with the successful thin film growth and substrate versatility, represents the next generation of methods for MOF thin film fabrication. Thereby paving the way for these unique MOF materials to address a wide range of challenges in the areas of sensing devices and membrane technology.
CitationAdvanced fabrication method for the preparation of MOF thin films: Liquid-phase epitaxy approach meets spin coating method. 2016 ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces
SponsorsThe authors gratefully acknowledge the financial support from King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- MOF-on-MOF heteroepitaxy: perfectly oriented [Zn2(ndc)2(dabco)]n grown on [Cu2(ndc)2(dabco)]n thin films.
- Authors: Shekhah O, Hirai K, Wang H, Uehara H, Kondo M, Diring S, Zacher D, Fischer RA, Sakata O, Kitagawa S, Furukawa S, Wöll C
- Issue date: 2011 May 14
- Thin films of metal-organic frameworks.
- Authors: Zacher D, Shekhah O, Wöll C, Fischer RA
- Issue date: 2009 May
- Fabrication of MOF Thin Films at Miscible Liquid-Liquid Interface by Spray Method.
- Authors: Bai XJ, Chen D, Li LL, Shao L, He WX, Chen H, Li YN, Zhang XM, Zhang LY, Wang TQ, Fu Y, Qi W
- Issue date: 2018 Aug 8
- Liquid-Phase Epitaxy Effective Encapsulation of Lanthanide Coordination Compounds into MOF Film with Homogeneous and Tunable White-Light Emission.
- Authors: Gu ZG, Chen Z, Fu WQ, Wang F, Zhang J
- Issue date: 2015 Dec 30
- A Confined Fabrication of Perovskite Quantum Dots in Oriented MOF Thin Film.
- Authors: Chen Z, Gu ZG, Fu WQ, Wang F, Zhang J
- Issue date: 2016 Oct 26