High-quality III-nitride films on conductive, transparent (2̅01)-oriented β-Ga2O3 using a GaN buffer layer
AuthorsMumthaz Muhammed, Mufasila
Roldan, M. A.
Ajia, Idris A.
Humphreys, C. J.
Roqan, Iman S.
KAUST DepartmentImaging and Characterization Core Lab
Materials Science and Engineering Program
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2016-07-14
Print Publication Date2016-09
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/617134
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe demonstrate the high structural and optical properties of InxGa1−xN epilayers (0 ≤ x ≤ 23) grown on conductive and transparent (01)-oriented β-Ga2O3 substrates using a low-temperature GaN buffer layer rather than AlN buffer layer, which enhances the quality and stability of the crystals compared to those grown on (100)-oriented β-Ga2O3. Raman maps show that the 2″ wafer is relaxed and uniform. Transmission electron microscopy (TEM) reveals that the dislocation density reduces considerably (~4.8 × 107 cm−2) at the grain centers. High-resolution TEM analysis demonstrates that most dislocations emerge at an angle with respect to the c-axis, whereas dislocations of the opposite phase form a loop and annihilate each other. The dislocation behavior is due to irregular (01) β-Ga2O3 surface at the interface and distorted buffer layer, followed by relaxed GaN epilayer. Photoluminescence results confirm high optical quality and time-resolved spectroscopy shows that the recombination is governed by bound excitons. We find that a low root-mean-square average (≤1.5 nm) of InxGa1−xN epilayers can be achieved with high optical quality of InxGa1−xN epilayers. We reveal that (01)-oriented β-Ga2O3 substrate has a strong potential for use in large-scale high-quality vertical light emitting device design.
CitationHigh-quality III-nitride films on conductive, transparent (2̅01)-oriented β-Ga2O3 using a GaN buffer layer 2016, 6:29747 Scientific Reports
SponsorsThe authors thank KAUST for its financial support.
- Carrier dynamics of In<sub>x</sub>Ga<sub>1-x</sub>N/GaN multiple quantum wells grown on (-201) β-Ga<sub>2</sub>O<sub>3</sub> for bright vertical light emitting diodes.
- Authors: Muhammed MM, Xu J, Wehbe N, Roqan IS
- Issue date: 2018 Jun 11
- High-Efficiency InGaN/GaN Quantum Well-Based Vertical Light-Emitting Diodes Fabricated on β-Ga<sub>2</sub>O<sub>3</sub> Substrate.
- Authors: Muhammed MM, Alwadai N, Lopatin S, Kuramata A, Roqan IS
- Issue date: 2017 Oct 4
- High-Quality GaN Epilayers Achieved by Facet-Controlled Epitaxial Lateral Overgrowth on Sputtered AlN/PSS Templates.
- Authors: He C, Zhao W, Zhang K, He L, Wu H, Liu N, Zhang S, Liu X, Chen Z
- Issue date: 2017 Dec 13
- Anisotropic structural and optical properties of semi-polar (11-22) GaN grown on m-plane sapphire using double AlN buffer layers.
- Authors: Zhao G, Wang L, Yang S, Li H, Wei H, Han D, Wang Z
- Issue date: 2016 Feb 10
- Investigation of AlGaN/GaN high electron mobility transistor structures on 200-mm silicon (111) substrates employing different buffer layer configurations.
- Authors: Lee HP, Perozek J, Rosario LD, Bayram C
- Issue date: 2016 Nov 21