Solar-thermal conversion and thermal energy storage of graphene foam-based composite
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Environmental Science and Engineering Program
Water Desalination and Reuse Research Center (WDRC)
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/617090
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAmong various utilizations of solar energy, solar-thermal conversion has recently gained renewed research interest due to its extremely high energy efficiency. However, one limiting factor common to all solar-based energy conversion technologies is the intermittent nature of solar irradiation, which makes them unable to stand-alone to satisfy continuous energy need. Herein, we report a three-dimensional (3D) graphene foam and phase change material (PCM) composite for the seamlessly combined solar-thermal conversion and thermal storage for sustained energy release. The composite is obtained by infiltrating the 3D graphene foam with a commonly used PCM, paraffin wax. The high macroporosity and low density of the graphene foam allow for high weight fraction of the PCM to be incorporated, which enhances heat storage capacity of the composite. The interconnected graphene sheets in the composite provide (1) the solar-thermal conversion capability, (2) high thermal conductivity and (3) form stability of the composite. Under light irradiation, the composite effectively collects and converts the light energy into thermal energy, and the converted thermal energy is stored in the PCM and released in an elongated period of time for sustained utilization. This study provides a promising route for sustainable utilization of solar energy.
CitationSolar-thermal conversion and thermal energy storage of graphene foam-based composite 2016 Nanoscale
SponsorsThe research reported in this publication was supported by funding from King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) CRG-3.
PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
- Dual-Functional Aligned and Interconnected Graphite Nanoplatelet Networks for Accelerating Solar Thermal Energy Harvesting and Storage within Phase Change Materials.
- Authors: Wu S, Li T, Wu M, Xu J, Chao J, Hu Y, Yan T, Li QY, Wang R
- Issue date: 2021 Apr 28
- Form-Stable Solar Thermal Heat Packs Prepared by Impregnating Phase-Changing Materials within Carbon-Coated Copper Foams.
- Authors: Ye Q, Tao P, Chang C, Zhou L, Zeng X, Song C, Shang W, Wu J, Deng T
- Issue date: 2019 Jan 23
- Hierarchically interconnected porous scaffolds for phase change materials with improved thermal conductivity and efficient solar-to-electric energy conversion.
- Authors: Yang J, Yu P, Tang LS, Bao RY, Liu ZY, Yang MB, Yang W
- Issue date: 2017 Nov 23
- Hierarchical Graphene Foam for Efficient Omnidirectional Solar-Thermal Energy Conversion.
- Authors: Ren H, Tang M, Guan B, Wang K, Yang J, Wang F, Wang M, Shan J, Chen Z, Wei D, Peng H, Liu Z
- Issue date: 2017 Oct
- Silver Attached Graphene-Based Aerogel Composite Phase Change Material and the Enhancement of Thermal Conductivity.
- Authors: Zhang L, Shi Z, Zhang B, Huang J
- Issue date: 2020 Jul 23