Direct chemical synthesis of MnO2 nanowhiskers on MXene surfaces for supercapacitor applications
KAUST DepartmentElectron Microscopy
Functional Nanomaterials and Devices Research Group
Material Science and Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2016-07-14
Print Publication Date2016-07-27
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/617087
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTransition metal carbides (MXenes) are an emerging class of two dimensional (2D) materials with promising electrochemical energy storage performance. Herein, for the first time, by direct chemical synthesis, nanocrystalline ε-MnO2 whiskers were formed on MXene nanosheet surfaces (ε-MnO2/Ti2CTx and ε-MnO2/Ti3C2Tx) to make nanocomposite electrodes for aqueous pseudocapacitors. The ε-MnO2 nanowhiskers increase the surface area of the composite electrode and enhance the specific capacitance by nearly three orders of magnitude compared to pure MXene based symmetric supercapacitors. Combined with enhanced pseudocapacitance, the fabricated ε-MnO2/MXene supercapacitors exhibited excellent cycling stability with ~88% of the initial specific capacitance retained after 10000 cycles which is much higher than pure ε-MnO2 based supercapacitors (~74%). The proposed electrode structure capitalizes on the high specific capacitance of MnO2 and the ability of MXenes to improve conductivity and cycling stability.
CitationDirect chemical synthesis of MnO2 nanowhiskers on MXene surfaces for supercapacitor applications 2016 ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces
SponsorsResearch reported in this publication has been supported by King Abdullah University of Science & Technology (KAUST). Authors thank the ‘Advanced Nanofabrication, Imaging and Characterization Laboratory ’and ‘Analytical Chemistry Laboratory’ at KAUST. R.B.Rakhi acknowledges the support of Ramanujan Fellowship, Department of Science and Technology (DST), Govt.of India and CSIR-NIIST Thiruvananthapuram, India.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- The facile synthesis of layered Ti<sub>2</sub>C MXene/carbon nanotube composite paper with enhanced electrochemical properties.
- Authors: Li L, Wang F, Zhu J, Wu W
- Issue date: 2017 Nov 7
- Solid-State Thin-Film Supercapacitors with Ultrafast Charge/Discharge Based on N-Doped-Carbon-Tubes/Au-Nanoparticles-Doped-MnO2 Nanocomposites.
- Authors: Lv Q, Wang S, Sun H, Luo J, Xiao J, Xiao J, Xiao F, Wang S
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 13
- Seawater electrolyte-mediated high volumetric MXene-based electrochemical symmetric supercapacitors.
- Authors: Xia QX, Shinde NM, Zhang T, Yun JM, Zhou A, Mane RS, Mathur S, Kim KH
- Issue date: 2018 Jul 3
- Flexible Ti<sub>3</sub>C<sub>2</sub>T<sub>x</sub>/PEDOT:PSS films with outstanding volumetric capacitance for asymmetric supercapacitors.
- Authors: Li L, Zhang N, Zhang M, Zhang X, Zhang Z
- Issue date: 2019 Feb 7
- Nitrogen Doped Intercalation TiO<sub>2</sub>/TiN/Ti<sub>3</sub>C<sub>2</sub>T<sub>x</sub> Nanocomposite Electrodes with Enhanced Pseudocapacitance.
- Authors: Yang B, She Y, Zhang C, Kang S, Zhou J, Hu W
- Issue date: 2020 Feb 18