Direct chemical synthesis of MnO2 nanowhiskers on MXene surfaces for supercapacitor applications
KAUST DepartmentMaterials Science and Engineering (MSE)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTransition metal carbides (MXenes) are an emerging class of two dimensional (2D) materials with promising electrochemical energy storage performance. Herein, for the first time, by direct chemical synthesis, nanocrystalline ε-MnO2 whiskers were formed on MXene nanosheet surfaces (ε-MnO2/Ti2CTx and ε-MnO2/Ti3C2Tx) to make nanocomposite electrodes for aqueous pseudocapacitors. The ε-MnO2 nanowhiskers increase the surface area of the composite electrode and enhance the specific capacitance by nearly three orders of magnitude compared to pure MXene based symmetric supercapacitors. Combined with enhanced pseudocapacitance, the fabricated ε-MnO2/MXene supercapacitors exhibited excellent cycling stability with ~88% of the initial specific capacitance retained after 10000 cycles which is much higher than pure ε-MnO2 based supercapacitors (~74%). The proposed electrode structure capitalizes on the high specific capacitance of MnO2 and the ability of MXenes to improve conductivity and cycling stability.
CitationDirect chemical synthesis of MnO2 nanowhiskers on MXene surfaces for supercapacitor applications 2016 ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces
SponsorsResearch reported in this publication has been supported by King Abdullah University of Science & Technology (KAUST). Authors thank the ‘Advanced Nanofabrication, Imaging and Characterization Laboratory ’and ‘Analytical Chemistry Laboratory’ at KAUST. R.B.Rakhi acknowledges the support of Ramanujan Fellowship, Department of Science and Technology (DST), Govt.of India and CSIR-NIIST Thiruvananthapuram, India.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Solid-State Thin-Film Supercapacitors with Ultrafast Charge/Discharge Based on N-Doped-Carbon-Tubes/Au-Nanoparticles-Doped-MnO2 Nanocomposites.
- Authors: Lv Q, Wang S, Sun H, Luo J, Xiao J, Xiao J, Xiao F, Wang S
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 13
- Graphene-patched CNT/MnO2 nanocomposite papers for the electrode of high-performance flexible asymmetric supercapacitors.
- Authors: Jin Y, Chen H, Chen M, Liu N, Li Q
- Issue date: 2013 Apr 24
- MXene as a Charge Storage Host.
- Authors: Okubo M, Sugahara A, Kajiyama S, Yamada A
- Issue date: 2018 Mar 20
- High-Capacitance Mechanism for Ti<sub>3</sub>C<sub>2</sub>T<sub>x</sub> MXene by in Situ Electrochemical Raman Spectroscopy Investigation.
- Authors: Hu M, Li Z, Hu T, Zhu S, Zhang C, Wang X
- Issue date: 2016 Dec 27
- MnO<sub>2</sub>-deposited lignin-based carbon nanofiber mats for application as electrodes in symmetric pseudocapacitors.
- Authors: Youe WJ, Kim SJ, Lee SM, Chun SJ, Kang J, Kim YS
- Issue date: 2018 Jun