Smart Sensing System for the Prognostic Monitoring of Bone Health
KAUST DepartmentSensing, Magnetism and Microsystems Lab
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe objective of this paper is to report a novel non-invasive, real-time, and label-free smart assay technique for the prognostic detection of bone loss by electrochemical impedance spectroscopy (EIS). The proposed system incorporated an antibody-antigen-based sensor functionalization to induce selectivity for the C-terminal telopeptide type one collagen (CTx-I) molecules—a bone loss biomarker. Streptavidin agarose was immobilized on the sensing area of a silicon substrate-based planar sensor, patterned with gold interdigital electrodes, to capture the antibody-antigen complex. Calibration experiments were conducted with various known CTx-I concentrations in a buffer solution to obtain a reference curve that was used to quantify the concentration of an analyte in the unknown serum samples. Multivariate chemometric analyses were done to determine the performance viability of the developed system. The analyses suggested that a frequency of 710 Hz is the most discriminating regarding the system sensitivity. A detection limit of 0.147 ng/mL was achieved for the proposed sensor and the corresponding reference curve was linear in the range of 0.147 ng/mL to 2.669 ng/mL. Two sheep blood samples were tested by the developed technique and the results were validated using enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA). The results from the proposed technique match those from the ELISA.
CitationSmart Sensing System for the Prognostic Monitoring of Bone Health 2016, 16 (7):976 Sensors
SponsorsThe authors would like to thank school of Engineering and advanced technology and School of Health, Massey University, Palmerston North, New Zealand, for providing the best research facilities. Special thanks to Gabrielle Plimmer, Diana Cabrera Amaro and to all whom that had fruitful discussions and collaborations with the authors.
- Molecularly Imprinted Polymer-Based Electrochemical Biosensor for Bone Loss Detection.
- Authors: Afsarimanesh N, Mukhopadhyay SC, Kruger M
- Issue date: 2018 Jun
- Gold-coated carbon nanotube electrode arrays: Immunosensors for impedimetric detection of bone biomarkers.
- Authors: Ramanathan M, Patil M, Epur R, Yun Y, Shanov V, Schulz M, Heineman WR, Datta MK, Kumta PN
- Issue date: 2016 Mar 15
- Rapid and molecular selective electrochemical sensing of phthalates in aqueous solution.
- Authors: Zia AI, Mukhopadhyay SC, Yu PL, Al-Bahadly IH, Gooneratne CP, Kosel JR
- Issue date: 2015 May 15
- 3D nanogap interdigitated electrode array biosensors.
- Authors: Singh KV, Whited AM, Ragineni Y, Barrett TW, King J, Solanki R
- Issue date: 2010 Jun
- Femtomolar detection of cardiac troponin I using a novel label-free and reagent-free dendrimer enhanced impedimetric immunosensor.
- Authors: Akter R, Jeong B, Lee YM, Choi JS, Rahman MA
- Issue date: 2017 May 15