Optical Properties of Strained Wurtzite Gallium Phosphide Nanowires
Valega Mackenzie, F. O.
Silov, A. Yu.
Bakkers, E. P. A. M.
Haverkort, J. E. M.
KAUST DepartmentMaterials Science and Engineering Program
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/614818
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWurtzite gallium phosphide (WZ GaP) has been predicted to exhibit a direct bandgap in the green spectral range. Optical transitions, however, are only weakly allowed by the symmetry of the bands. While efficient luminescence has been experimentally shown, the nature of the transitions is not yet clear. Here we apply tensile strain up to 6% and investigate the evolution of the photoluminescence (PL) spectrum of WZ GaP nanowires (NWs). The pressure and polarization dependence of the emission together with a theoretical analysis of strain effects is employed to establish the nature and symmetry of the transitions. We identify the emission lines to be related to localized states with significant admixture of Γ7c symmetry and not exclusively related to the Γ8c conduction band minimum (CBM). The results emphasize the importance of strongly bound state-related emission in the pseudodirect semiconductor WZ GaP and contribute significantly to the understanding of the optoelectronic properties of this novel material.
CitationOptical Properties of Strained Wurtzite Gallium Phosphide Nanowires 2016, 16 (6):3703 Nano Letters
SponsorsJ.G. acknowledges funding by the Austrian Science Fund (FWF): Proj. No. J3540-N30. This work was supported by the Dutch Organization for Scientific Research (NWO-VICI 700.10.441).
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Inducing a direct-to-pseudodirect bandgap transition in wurtzite GaAs nanowires with uniaxial stress.
- Authors: Signorello G, Lörtscher E, Khomyakov PA, Karg S, Dheeraj DL, Gotsmann B, Weman H, Riel H
- Issue date: 2014 Apr 10
- Addressing the Fundamental Electronic Properties of Wurtzite GaAs Nanowires by High-Field Magneto-Photoluminescence Spectroscopy.
- Authors: De Luca M, Rubini S, Felici M, Meaney A, Christianen PCM, Martelli F, Polimeni A
- Issue date: 2017 Nov 8
- Temperature Dependence of Interband Transitions in Wurtzite InP Nanowires.
- Authors: Zilli A, De Luca M, Tedeschi D, Fonseka HA, Miriametro A, Tan HH, Jagadish C, Capizzi M, Polimeni A
- Issue date: 2015 Apr 28
- Effects of Polytypism on Optical Properties and Band Structure of Individual Ga(N)P Nanowires from Correlative Spatially Resolved Structural and Optical Studies.
- Authors: Dobrovolsky A, Persson PO, Sukrittanon S, Kuang Y, Tu CW, Chen WM, Buyanova IA
- Issue date: 2015 Jun 10
- Pseudodirect to Direct Compositional Crossover in Wurtzite GaP/In<sub>x</sub>Ga<sub>1-x</sub>P Core-Shell Nanowires.
- Authors: Gagliano L, Belabbes A, Albani M, Assali S, Verheijen MA, Miglio L, Bechstedt F, Haverkort JE, Bakkers EP
- Issue date: 2016 Dec 14