Formation of microbeads during vapor explosions of Field's metal in water
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/614393
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe use high-speed video imaging to investigate vapor explosions during the impact of a molten Field's metal drop onto a pool of water. These explosions occur for temperatures above the Leidenfrost temperature and are observed to occur in up to three stages as the metal temperature is increased, with each explosion being more powerful that the preceding one. The Field's metal drop breaks up into numerous microbeads with an exponential size distribution, in contrast to tin droplets where the vapor explosion deforms the metal to form porous solid structures. We compare the characteristic bead size to the wavelength of the fastest growing mode of the Rayleigh-Taylor instability.
CitationFormation of microbeads during vapor explosions of Field's metal in water 2016, 93 (6) Physical Review E
SponsorsThe research described herein was funded by KAUST. We acknowledge financial support from CCRC at KAUST, Extreme Combustion FCC/1/1975. We thank Ivan Vakarelski for help with some of the experiments.
PublisherAmerican Physical Society (APS)
JournalPhysical Review E
- Hydrodynamics of Leidenfrost droplets in one-component fluids.
- Authors: Xu X, Qian T
- Issue date: 2013 Apr
- A Non-Exploding Alkali Metal Drop on Water: From Blue Solvated Electrons to Bursting Molten Hydroxide.
- Authors: Mason PE, Buttersack T, Bauerecker S, Jungwirth P
- Issue date: 2016 Oct 10
- Geometry of the vapor layer under a leidenfrost drop.
- Authors: Burton JC, Sharpe AL, van der Veen RC, Franco A, Nagel SR
- Issue date: 2012 Aug 17
- Effect of Different Fluids on Rectified Motion of Leidenfrost Droplets on Micro/Sub-Micron Ratchets.
- Authors: Ok JT, Choi J, Brown E, Park S
- Issue date: 2016 Jun 1
- Atomistic modeling of nanoparticle generation in short pulse laser ablation of thin metal films in water.
- Authors: Shih CY, Wu C, Shugaev MV, Zhigilei LV
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 1