Synergy between Two Metal Catalysts: A Highly Active Silica Supported Bimetallic W/Zr Catalyst for Metathesis of n-Decane
Kavitake, Santosh Giridhar
Hamieh, Ali Imad Ali
KAUST DepartmentChemical Science Program
KAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
Upstream Petroleum Engineering Research Center (UPERC)
Online Publication Date2016-06-28
Print Publication Date2016-07-13
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/613000
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA well-defined, silica supported, bimetallic precatalyst [≡Si-O-W(Me)5 ≡Si-O-Zr(Np)3](4) has been synthesized for the first time via successively grafting two organometallic complexes [W(CH3)6 (1) followed by ZrNp4 (2)] on a single silica support. Surprisingly, multiple quantum NMR characterization demonstrates that W and Zr species are in close proximity to each other. Hydrogenation of this bimetallic catalyst at room temperature showed the easy formation of Zirconium hydride, probably facilitated by tungsten hydride which was formed at this temperature. This bimetallic W/Zr hydride precatalyst proved to be more efficient (TON: 1436) than the monometallic W hydride (TON: 650) in metathesis of n-decane at 150 0C. This synergy between Zr and W suggests that the slow step of alkane metathesis is the C-H bond activation which occurs on Zr. The produced olefin resulting from a ß–H elimination undergoes easy metathesis on W.
CitationSynergy between Two Metal Catalysts: A Highly Active Silica Supported Bimetallic W/Zr Catalyst for Metathesis of n-Decane 2016 Journal of the American Chemical Society
SponsorsThe authors acknowledge the KAUST Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Core Lab and analytical core lab (ACL) for the analysis of the sample. This publication is based upon work supported by the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) Office of Sponsored Research (OSR).
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Unearthing a Well-Defined Highly Active Bimetallic W/Ti Precatalyst Anchored on a Single Silica Surface for Metathesis of Propane.
- Authors: Samantaray MK, Kavitake S, Morlanés N, Abou-Hamad E, Hamieh A, Dey R, Basset JM
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 8
- SOMC-Designed Silica Supported Tungsten Oxo Imidazolin-2-iminato Methyl Precatalyst for Olefin Metathesis Reactions.
- Authors: Qureshi ZS, Hamieh A, Barman S, Maity N, Samantaray MK, Ould-Chikh S, Abou-Hamad E, Falivene L, D'Elia V, Rothenberger A, Llorens I, Hazemann JL, Basset JM
- Issue date: 2017 Jan 17
- Bipodal surface organometallic complexes with surface N-donor ligands and application to the catalytic cleavage of C-H and C-C bonds in n-butane.
- Authors: Bendjeriou-Sedjerari A, Azzi JM, Abou-Hamad E, Anjum DH, Pasha FA, Huang KW, Emsley L, Basset JM
- Issue date: 2013 Nov 27
- WMe6 tamed by silica: ≡Si-O-WMe5 as an efficient, well-defined species for alkane metathesis, leading to the observation of a supported W-methyl/methylidyne species.
- Authors: Samantaray MK, Callens E, Abou-Hamad E, Rossini AJ, Widdifield CM, Dey R, Emsley L, Basset JM
- Issue date: 2014 Jan 22
- Metathesis of alkanes and related reactions.
- Authors: Basset JM, Copéret C, Soulivong D, Taoufik M, Cazat JT
- Issue date: 2010 Feb 16