Biodegradable Oxamide-Phenylene-Based Mesoporous Organosilica Nanoparticles with Unprecedented Drug Payloads for Delivery in Cells
Khashab, Niveen M.
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Chemical Science Program
Advanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center
Smart Hybrid Materials (SHMs) lab
Advanced Membranes and Porous Materials Center (AMPMC)
Imaging and Characterization Core Lab
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe describe biodegradable mesoporous hybrid NPs in the presence of proteins, and its application for drug delivery. We synthesized oxamide-phenylene-based mesoporous organosilica nanoparticles (MON) in the absence of silica source which had a remarkably high organic content with a high surface area. Oxamide functions provided biodegradability in the presence of trypsin model proteins. MON displayed exceptionally high payloads of hydrophilic and hydrophobic drugs (up to 84 wt%), and a unique zero premature leakage without the pore capping, unlike mesoporous silica. MON were biocompatible and internalized into cancer cells for drug delivery.
CitationBiodegradable Oxamide-Phenylene-Based Mesoporous Organosilica Nanoparticles with Unprecedented Drug Payloads for Delivery in Cells 2016 Chemistry - A European Journal
SponsorsThe authors gratefully acknowledge King Abdullah University of Science and Technology and the University of California, Los Angeles for the support of this work.
JournalChemistry - A European Journal
- Periodic Mesoporous Organosilica Nanoparticles with Controlled Morphologies and High Drug/Dye Loadings for Multicargo Delivery in Cancer Cells.
- Authors: Croissant JG, Fatieiev Y, Omar H, Anjum DH, Gurinov A, Lu J, Tamanoi F, Zink JI, Khashab NM
- Issue date: 2016 Jul 4
- Mesoporous silica nanoparticles with organo-bridged silsesquioxane framework as innovative platforms for bioimaging and therapeutic agent delivery.
- Authors: Du X, Li X, Xiong L, Zhang X, Kleitz F, Qiao SZ
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- Facile Synthesis of Yolk-Shell-Structured Triple-Hybridized Periodic Mesoporous Organosilica Nanoparticles for Biomedicine.
- Authors: Teng Z, Zhang J, Li W, Zheng Y, Su X, Tang Y, Dang M, Tian Y, Yuwen L, Weng L, Lu G, Wang L
- Issue date: 2016 Jul
- Anisotropic growth-induced synthesis of dual-compartment Janus mesoporous silica nanoparticles for bimodal triggered drugs delivery.
- Authors: Li X, Zhou L, Wei Y, El-Toni AM, Zhang F, Zhao D
- Issue date: 2014 Oct 22
- Hierarchical Mesoporous Organosilica-Silica Core-Shell Nanoparticles Capable of Controlled Fungicide Release.
- Authors: Luo L, Liang Y, Erichsen ES, Anwander R
- Issue date: 2018 May 17