Nonlinear-Based MEMS Sensors and Active Switches for Gas Detection
AuthorsBouchaala, Adam M.
Younis, Mohammad I.
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe objective of this paper is to demonstrate the integration of a MOF thin film on electrostatically actuated microstructures to realize a switch triggered by gas and a sensing algorithm based on amplitude tracking. The devices are based on the nonlinear response of micromachined clamped-clamped beams. The microbeams are coated with a metal-organic framework (MOF), namely HKUST-1, to achieve high sensitivity. The softening and hardening nonlinear behaviors of the microbeams are exploited to demonstrate the ideas. For gas sensing, an amplitude-based tracking algorithm is developed to quantify the captured quantity of gas. Then, a MEMS switch triggered by gas using the nonlinear response of the microbeam is demonstrated. Noise analysis is conducted, which shows that the switch has high stability against thermal noise. The proposed switch is promising for delivering binary sensing information, and also can be used directly to activate useful functionalities, such as alarming.
CitationNonlinear-Based MEMS Sensors and Active Switches for Gas Detection 2016, 16 (6):758 Sensors
SponsorsThis research has been supported by KAUST.
- Metal-Organic Framework Thin Film Coated Optical Fiber Sensors: A Novel Waveguide-Based Chemical Sensing Platform.
- Authors: Kim KJ, Lu P, Culp JT, Ohodnicki PR
- Issue date: 2018 Feb 23
- Attogram mass sensing based on silicon microbeam resonators.
- Authors: Baek IB, Byun S, Lee BK, Ryu JH, Kim Y, Yoon YS, Jang WI, Lee S, Yu HY
- Issue date: 2017 Apr 21
- Insights on Capacitive Interdigitated Electrodes Coated with MOF Thin Films: Humidity and VOCs Sensing as a Case Study.
- Authors: Sapsanis C, Omran H, Chernikova V, Shekhah O, Belmabkhout Y, Buttner U, Eddaoudi M, Salama KN
- Issue date: 2015 Jul 24
- MOFs for the Sensitive Detection of Ammonia: Deployment of fcu-MOF Thin Films as Effective Chemical Capacitive Sensors.
- Authors: Assen AH, Yassine O, Shekhah O, Eddaoudi M, Salama KN
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 22
- Metal-Organic Frameworks for Resonant-Gravimetric Detection of Trace-Level Xylene Molecules.
- Authors: Xu T, Xu P, Zheng D, Yu H, Li X
- Issue date: 2016 Dec 20