Cholesterol Depletion from a Ceramide/Cholesterol Mixed Monolayer: A Brewster Angle Microscope Study
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/611561
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCholesterol is crucial to the mechanical properties of cell membranes that are important to cells’ behavior. Its depletion from the cell membranes could be dramatic. Among cyclodextrins (CDs), methyl beta cyclodextrin (MβCD) is the most efficient to deplete cholesterol (Chol) from biomembranes. Here, we focus on the depletion of cholesterol from a C16 ceramide/cholesterol (C16-Cer/Chol) mixed monolayer using MβCD. While the removal of cholesterol by MβCD depends on the cholesterol concentration in most mixed lipid monolayers, it does not depend very much on the concentration of cholesterol in C16-Cer/Chol monolayers. The surface pressure decay during depletion were described by a stretched exponential that suggested that the cholesterol molecules are unable to diffuse laterally and behave like static traps for the MβCD molecules. Cholesterol depletion causes morphology changes of domains but these disrupted monolayers domains seem to reform even when cholesterol level was low.
CitationCholesterol Depletion from a Ceramide/Cholesterol Mixed Monolayer: A Brewster Angle Microscope Study 2016, 6:26907 Scientific Reports
SponsorsWe thank King Abdullah University for Science and Technology (KAUST) for financial support. S.C. Thanks Itamar Procaccia for helpful discussions.
- Methyl-β-cyclodextrins preferentially remove cholesterol from the liquid disordered phase in giant unilamellar vesicles.
- Authors: Sanchez SA, Gunther G, Tricerri MA, Gratton E
- Issue date: 2011 May
- Studies on β-sitosterol and ceramide-induced alterations in the properties of cholesterol/sphingomyelin/ganglioside monolayers.
- Authors: Hąc-Wydro K
- Issue date: 2013 Nov
- X-ray grazing incidence diffraction and Langmuir monolayer studies of the interaction of beta-cyclodextrin with model lipid membranes.
- Authors: Flasiński M, Broniatowski M, Majewski J, Dynarowicz-Łatka P
- Issue date: 2010 Aug 15
- Morphology, compressibility and viscoelasticity of the mixed lipid monolayers in the presence of β-carotene.
- Authors: Dopierała K, Skrzypiec M
- Issue date: 2018 Jul
- Antibody labeling of cholesterol/ceramide ordered domains in cell membranes.
- Authors: Scheffer L, Futerman AH, Addadi L
- Issue date: 2007 Dec 17