Large Area Deposition of MoS2 by Pulsed Laser Deposition with In-Situ Thickness Control
AuthorsSerna, Martha I.
Yoo, Seong H.
Oviedo, Juan Pablo
Alshareef, Husam N.
Kim, Moon J.
Quevedo-Lopez, Manuel A.
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA scalable and catalyst-free method to deposit stoichiometric Molybdenum Disulfide (MoS2) films over large areas is reported with the maximum area limited by the size of the substrate holder. The method allows deposition of MoS2 layers on a wide range of substrates without any additional surface preparation including single crystals (sapphire and quartz), polycrystalline (HfO2), and amorphous (SiO2). The films are deposited using carefully designed MoS2 targets fabricated with excess of sulfur (S) and variable MoS2 and S particle size. Uniform and layered MoS2 films as thin as two monolayers, with an electrical resistivity of 1.54 × 104 Ω cm-1 were achieved. The MoS2 stoichiometry was as confirmed by High Resolution Rutherford Backscattering Spectrometry (HRRBS). With the method reported here, in situ graded MoS2 films ranging from ~1 to 10 monolayers can also be deposited.
CitationLarge Area Deposition of MoS2 by Pulsed Laser Deposition with In-Situ Thickness Control 2016 ACS Nano
SponsorsThe Authors want to thank the National Science Foundation- Division of Electrical, Communications and Cyber Systems (Grant 1139986), Colciencias, Kookmin University, and The Leading Foreign Research Institute Recruitment Program through the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) funded by the Ministry of Science, ICT & Future Planning(MSIP) (Grant 2013K1A4A3055679).
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Pulsed laser-deposited MoS₂ thin films on W and Si: field emission and photoresponse studies.
- Authors: Late DJ, Shaikh PA, Khare R, Kashid RV, Chaudhary M, More MA, Ogale SB
- Issue date: 2014 Sep 24
- Growth, structure and stability of sputter-deposited MoS<sub>2</sub> thin films.
- Authors: Kaindl R, Bayer BC, Resel R, Müller T, Skakalova V, Habler G, Abart R, Cherevan AS, Eder D, Blatter M, Fischer F, Meyer JC, Polyushkin DK, Waldhauser W
- Issue date: 2017
- Wafer-Scale Integration of Highly Uniform and Scalable MoS<sub>2</sub> Transistors.
- Authors: Kim Y, Kim AR, Zhao G, Choi SY, Kang SC, Lim SK, Lee KE, Park J, Lee BH, Hahm MG, Kim DH, Yun J, Lee KH, Cho B
- Issue date: 2017 Oct 25
- Synthesis and defect investigation of two-dimensional molybdenum disulfide atomic layers.
- Authors: Najmaei S, Yuan J, Zhang J, Ajayan P, Lou J
- Issue date: 2015 Jan 20
- Towards a uniform and large-scale deposition of MoS2 nanosheets via sulfurization of ultra-thin Mo-based solid films.
- Authors: Vangelista S, Cinquanta E, Martella C, Alia M, Longo M, Lamperti A, Mantovan R, Basset FB, Pezzoli F, Molle A
- Issue date: 2016 Apr 29