Micro-pseudocapacitors with Electroactive Polymer Electrodes: Towards Ac-Line Filtering Applications
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Materials Science and Engineering Program
Materials Science and Engineering (MSE)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn this study, we investigate the frequency response of microsupercapacitors based on pseudocapacitive conducting polymer electrodes such as poly(3,4-ethylenedioxythiophene) (PEDOT), polypyrrole (PPY) and polyaniline (PANI). It is shown that by proper choice of polymeric material and device structure, mainiturized microsupercapacitors based on electroactive polymers can match the frequency response of commercial bulky electrolytic capacitors. Specifically, we shsow that PEDOT-based microsupercapacitors exhibit phase angle of -80.5º at 120 Hz which is comparable to commercial bulky electrolytic capacitors, but with an order of magnitude higher capacitance density (3 FV/cm3). The trade-off between the areal capacitance (CA) and frequency response in the 2D architecture (CA = 0.3 mF/cm2, phase angle of -80.5º at 120 Hz) is improved by designing 3D thin film architecture (CA = 3 mF/cm2, phase angle of -60º at 120 Hz). Our work demonstrates that fast frequency response can be achieved using electroactive polymer electrodes.
CitationMicro-pseudocapacitors with Electroactive Polymer Electrodes: Towards Ac-Line Filtering Applications 2016 ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces
SponsorsResearch reported in this publication was supported by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST). Authors thank the Advanced Nanofabrication, Imaging and Characterization Laboratory at KAUST for their excellent support.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Nitrogen-Doped Holey Graphene Film-Based Ultrafast Electrochemical Capacitors.
- Authors: Zhou Q, Zhang M, Chen J, Hong JD, Shi G
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 17
- Alternating current line-filter based on electrochemical capacitor utilizing template-patterned graphene.
- Authors: Wu Z, Li L, Lin Z, Song B, Li Z, Moon KS, Wong CP, Bai SL
- Issue date: 2015 Jun 17
- Avoiding Resistance Limitations in High-Performance Transparent Supercapacitor Electrodes Based on Large-Area, High-Conductivity PEDOT:PSS Films.
- Authors: Higgins TM, Coleman JN
- Issue date: 2015 Aug 5
- 3-Dimensional graphene carbon nanotube carpet-based microsupercapacitors with high electrochemical performance.
- Authors: Lin J, Zhang C, Yan Z, Zhu Y, Peng Z, Hauge RH, Natelson D, Tour JM
- Issue date: 2013 Jan 9