A novel integrated thermal-/membrane-based solar energy-driven hybrid desalination system: Concept description and simulation results
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Environmental Science and Engineering Program
Water Desalination and Reuse Research Center (WDRC)
Online Publication Date2016-05-03
Print Publication Date2016-09
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/608590
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn this paper, a hybrid desalination system consisting of vacuum membrane distillation (VMD) and adsorption desalination (AD) units, designated as VMD-AD cycle, is proposed. The synergetic integration of the VMD and AD is demonstrated where a useful effect of the AD cycle is channelled to boost the operation of the VMD process, namely the low vacuum environment to maintain the high pressure gradient across the microporous hydrophobic membrane. A solar-assisted multi-stage VMD-AD hybrid desalination system with temperature modulating unit is first designed, and its performance is then examined with a mathematical model of each component in the system and compared with the VMD-only system with temperature modulating and heat recovery units. The total water production and water recovery ratio of a solar-assisted 24-stage VMD-AD hybrid system are found to be about 21% and 23% higher, respectively, as compared to the VMD-only system. For the solar-assisted 24-stage VMD-AD desalination system having 150 m2 of evacuated-tube collectors and 10 m3 seawater storage tanks, both annual collector efficiency and solar fraction are close to 60%.
CitationA novel integrated thermal-/membrane-based solar energy-driven hybrid desalination system: Concept description and simulation results 2016 Water Research
SponsorsThis research reported in this paper was supported by a grant (code 13IFIP-B065893-03) from Industrial Facilities & Infrastructure Research Program funded by Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport of Korean government, and King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), Saudi Arabia.
- Microbubble aeration enhances performance of vacuum membrane distillation desalination by alleviating membrane scaling.
- Authors: Ye Y, Yu S, Hou L, Liu B, Xia Q, Liu G, Li P
- Issue date: 2019 Feb 1
- Detailed modeling and simulation of an out-in configuration vacuum membrane distillation process.
- Authors: Kim YD, Kim YB, Woo SY
- Issue date: 2018 Apr 1
- Solar desalination of seawater using double-dye-modified PTFE membrane.
- Authors: Fujiwara M, Kikuchi M
- Issue date: 2017 Dec 15
- A conceptual demonstration of freeze desalination-membrane distillation (FD-MD) hybrid desalination process utilizing liquefied natural gas (LNG) cold energy.
- Authors: Wang P, Chung TS
- Issue date: 2012 Sep 1
- Nanophotonics-enabled solar membrane distillation for off-grid water purification.
- Authors: Dongare PD, Alabastri A, Pedersen S, Zodrow KR, Hogan NJ, Neumann O, Wu J, Wang T, Deshmukh A, Elimelech M, Li Q, Nordlander P, Halas NJ
- Issue date: 2017 Jul 3