Bifunctionalized Intrinsically Microporous Polyimides with Simultaneously Enhanced Gas Permeability and Selectivity
KAUST DepartmentAdvanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center
Chemical Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2016-03-29
Print Publication Date2016-06
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/607759
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTwo novel intrinsically microporous copolyimides synthesized by condensation reaction of 4,4′-(hexafluoroisopropylidene) diphthalic anhydride (6FDA), 3,3,3′,3′-tetramethyl-1,1′-spirobisindane-5,5′-diamino-6,6′-diol, and 3,5-diaminobenzoic acid with diamine ratios of 80/20 (Co-80/20) and 50/50 (Co-50/50) are reported. Unexpectedly, the Co-80/20 not only demonstrates higher microporosity (300 m2 g−1) than the PIM-6FDA-OH homopolymer (190 m2 g−1) but also exhibits simultaneously enhanced CO2 permeability (from 119 to 171 Barrer) and CO2/CH4 selectivity (from 35 to 41) after thermal annealing at 250 °C. This higher permeability originates from enhanced diffusivity (D CO2) and the higher selectivity results from its increased diffusion selectivity (D CO2/D CH4). After crosslinking at 300 °C, the Co-80/20 exhibits an even higher CO2 permeability (261 Barrer) and almost unchanged CO2/CH4 selectivity.
CitationBifunctionalized Intrinsically Microporous Polyimides with Simultaneously Enhanced Gas Permeability and Selectivity 2016:n/a Macromolecular Rapid Communications
SponsorsThe research reported in this publication was supported by funding from King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
- Synthesis and Characterization of a Novel Microporous Dihydroxyl-Functionalized Triptycene-Diamine-Based Polyimide for Natural Gas Membrane Separation.
- Authors: Alaslai N, Ma X, Ghanem B, Wang Y, Alghunaimi F, Pinnau I
- Issue date: 2017 Sep
- Intrinsically Microporous Polymer Nanosheets for High-Performance Gas Separation Membranes.
- Authors: Tamaddondar M, Foster AB, Luque-Alled JM, Msayib KJ, Carta M, Sorribas S, Gorgojo P, McKeown NB, Budd PM
- Issue date: 2020 Jan
- Gas separation performance of carbon molecular sieve membranes based on 6FDA-mPDA/DABA (3:2) polyimide.
- Authors: Qiu W, Zhang K, Li FS, Zhang K, Koros WJ
- Issue date: 2014 Apr
- A New Pentiptycene-Based Dianhydride and Its High-Free-Volume Polymer for Carbon Dioxide Removal.
- Authors: Shamsabadi AA, Seidi F, Nozari M, Soroush M
- Issue date: 2018 Jan 23
- Polyimide-Based Membrane Materials for CO(2) Separation: A Comparison of Segmented and Aromatic (Co)polyimides.
- Authors: Jankowski A, Grabiec E, Nocoń-Szmajda K, Marcinkowski A, Janeczek H, Wolińska-Grabczyk A
- Issue date: 2021 Apr 8