Characterization of piRNAs across postnatal development in mouse brain
Ryu, Tae Woo
KAUST DepartmentApplied Mathematics and Computational Science Program
KAUST Environmental Epigenetics Research Program (KEEP)
Biological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPIWI-interacting RNAs (piRNAs) are responsible for maintaining the genome stability by silencing retrotransposons in germline tissues– where piRNAs were first discovered and thought to be restricted. Recently, novel functions were reported for piRNAs in germline and somatic cells. Using deep sequencing of small RNAs and CAGE of postnatal development of mouse brain, we identified piRNAs only in adult mouse brain. These piRNAs have similar sequence length as those of MILI-bound piRNAs. In addition, we predicted novel candidate regulators and putative targets of adult brain piRNAs.
CitationCharacterization of piRNAs across postnatal development in mouse brain 2016, 6:25039 Scientific Reports
SponsorsY.G., L.S., T.R.1, V.O. and T.R.2 are supported by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology. Research Grant from the Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) to the RIKEN Center for Life Science Technologies. The funders had no role in study design, data collection and analysis, decision to publish, or preparation of the manuscript.
PublisherNature Publishing Group
- HITS-CLIP (CLIP-Seq) for mouse Piwi proteins.
- Authors: Vourekas A, Mourelatos Z
- Issue date: 2014
- Roles for small noncoding RNAs in silencing of retrotransposons in the mammalian brain.
- Authors: Nandi S, Chandramohan D, Fioriti L, Melnick AM, Hébert JM, Mason CE, Rajasethupathy P, Kandel ER
- Issue date: 2016 Nov 8
- Deep sequencing and high-throughput analysis of PIWI-associated small RNAs.
- Authors: Iwasaki YW, Ishino K, Siomi H
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 15
- Deep small RNA sequencing from the nematode Ascaris reveals conservation, functional diversification, and novel developmental profiles.
- Authors: Wang J, Czech B, Crunk A, Wallace A, Mitreva M, Hannon GJ, Davis RE
- Issue date: 2011 Sep
- A novel class of somatic small RNAs similar to germ cell pachytene PIWI-interacting small RNAs.
- Authors: Ortogero N, Schuster AS, Oliver DK, Riordan CR, Hong AS, Hennig GW, Luong D, Bao J, Bhetwal BP, Ro S, McCarrey JR, Yan W
- Issue date: 2014 Nov 21