A miniature solar device for overall water splitting consisting of series-connected spherical silicon solar cells
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/605858
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA novel “photovoltaics (PV) + electrolyzer” concept is presented using a simple, small, and completely stand-alone non-biased device for solar-driven overall water splitting. Three or four spherical-shaped p-n junction silicon balls were successfully connected in series, named “SPHELAR.” SPHELAR possessed small projected areas of 0.20 (3PVs) and 0.26 cm2 (4PVs) and exhibited working voltages sufficient for water electrolysis. Impacts of the configuration on the PV module performance were carefully analyzed, revealing that a drastic increase in the photocurrent (≈20%) was attained by the effective utilization of a reflective sheet. Separate investigations on the electrocatalyst performance showed that non-noble metal based materials with reasonably small sizes (<0.80 cm2) exhibited substantial currents at the PV working voltage. By combining the observations of the PV characteristics, light management and electrocatalyst performance, solar-driven overall water splitting was readily achieved, reaching solar-to-hydrogen efficiencies of 7.4% (3PVs) and 6.4% (4PVs).
CitationA miniature solar device for overall water splitting consisting of series-connected spherical silicon solar cells 2016, 6:24633 Scientific Reports
SponsorsThis work was financially supported by Grants-in-Aid for Specially Promoted Research (No. 23000009) of Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS).
PublisherNature Publishing Group
CollectionsArticles; Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division; KAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
- Water Splitting with Series-Connected Polymer Solar Cells.
- Authors: Esiner S, van Eersel H, van Pruissen GW, Turbiez M, Wienk MM, Janssen RA
- Issue date: 2016 Oct 12
- Efficient solar water splitting by enhanced charge separation in a bismuth vanadate-silicon tandem photoelectrode.
- Authors: Abdi FF, Han L, Smets AH, Zeman M, Dam B, van de Krol R
- Issue date: 2013
- Homo-Tandem Polymer Solar Cells with VOC >1.8 V for Efficient PV-Driven Water Splitting.
- Authors: Gao Y, Le Corre VM, Gaïtis A, Neophytou M, Hamid MA, Takanabe K, Beaujuge PM
- Issue date: 2016 May
- Temperature dependence of electrocatalytic water oxidation: a triple device model with a photothermal collector and photovoltaic cell coupled to an electrolyzer.
- Authors: Zhang B, Daniel Q, Cheng M, Fan L, Sun L
- Issue date: 2017 Jun 2
- Efficient water-splitting device based on a bismuth vanadate photoanode and thin-film silicon solar cells.
- Authors: Han L, Abdi FF, van de Krol R, Liu R, Huang Z, Lewerenz HJ, Dam B, Zeman M, Smets AH
- Issue date: 2014 Oct