Dual-functional Memory and Threshold Resistive Switching Based on the Push-Pull Mechanism of Oxygen Ions
KAUST DepartmentComputer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Electrical Engineering Program
KAUST Solar Center (KSC)
Online Publication Date2016-04-07
Print Publication Date2016-07
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/604979
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe combination of nonvolatile memory switching and volatile threshold switching functions of transition metal oxides in crossbar memory arrays is of great potential for replacing charge-based flash memory in very-large-scale integration. Here, we show that the resistive switching material structure, (amorphous TiOx)/(Ag nanoparticles)/(polycrystalline TiOx), fabricated on the textured-FTO substrate with ITO as the top electrode exhibits both the memory switching and threshold switching functions. When the device is used for resistive switching, it is forming-free for resistive memory applications with low operation voltage (<±1 V) and self-compliance to current up to 50 μA. When it is used for threshold switching, the low threshold current is beneficial for improving the device selectivity. The variation of oxygen distribution measured by energy dispersive X-ray spectroscopy and scanning transmission electron microscopy indicates the formation or rupture of conducting filaments in the device at different resistance states. It is therefore suggested that the push and pull actions of oxygen ions in the amorphous TiOx and polycrystalline TiOx films during the voltage sweep account for the memory switching and threshold switching properties in the device.
CitationDual-functional Memory and Threshold Resistive Switching Based on the Push-Pull Mechanism of Oxygen Ions 2016, 6:23945 Scientific Reports
SponsorsThe authors would like to thank the Ministry of Science and Technology in Taiwan for financially supporting this research under Contract No. MOST 103-2622-E-002-031 and NSC 100-2112-M-002-019.
- Compliance current controlled volatile and nonvolatile memory in Ag/CoFe<sub>2</sub>O<sub>4</sub>/Pt resistive switching device.
- Authors: Munjal S, Khare N
- Issue date: 2021 Apr 30
- Enhanced resistive switching phenomena using low-positive-voltage format and self-compliance IrOx/GdOx/W cross-point memories.
- Authors: Jana D, Maikap S, Prakash A, Chen YY, Chiu HC, Yang JR
- Issue date: 2014 Jan 8
- Valence Change Bipolar Resistive Switching Accompanied With Magnetization Switching in CoFe<sub>2</sub>O<sub>4</sub> Thin Film.
- Authors: Munjal S, Khare N
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 29
- Reliable and Low-Power Multilevel Resistive Switching in TiO<sub>2</sub> Nanorod Arrays Structured with a TiO<sub>x</sub> Seed Layer.
- Authors: Xiao M, Musselman KP, Duley WW, Zhou YN
- Issue date: 2017 Feb 8
- Multi-level characteristics of TiO<sub>x</sub> transparent non-volatile resistive switching device by embedding SiO<sub>2</sub> nanoparticles.
- Authors: Kwon S, Kim MJ, Chung KB
- Issue date: 2021 May 10