Effect of Voltage Measurement on the Quantitative Identification of Transverse Cracks by Electrical Measurements
KAUST DepartmentComposite and Heterogeneous Material Analysis and Simulation Laboratory (COHMAS)
Mechanical Engineering Program
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/604974
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractElectrical tomography can be used as a structural health monitoring technique to identify different damage mechanisms in composite laminates. Previous work has established the link between transverse cracking density and mesoscale conductivity of the ply. Through the mesoscale relationship, the conductivity obtained from electrical tomography can be used as a measure of the transverse cracking density. Interpretation of this measure will be accurate provided the assumptions made during homogenization are valid. One main assumption of mesoscale homogenization is that the electric field is in the plane. Here, we test the validity of this assumption for laminates with varying anisotropy ratios and for different distances between the cracked ply and surface that is instrumented with electrodes. We also show the equivalence in electrical response between measurements from cracked laminates and their equivalent mesoscale counterparts. Finally, we propose some general guidelines on the measurement strategy for maximizing the accuracy of transverse cracks identification.
CitationEffect of Voltage Measurement on the Quantitative Identification of Transverse Cracks by Electrical Measurements 2016, 16 (4):427 Sensors
SponsorsThe research reported in this publication was supported by funding from King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
- A Simplified Computational Strategy Focused on Resin Damage to Study Matrix Cracking of The Cross-Ply Laminates Under Uniaxial Tension Load.
- Authors: Sun L, Wang J, Hu H, Ni A
- Issue date: 2019 Jun 20
- Modelling of stiffness degradation due to cracking in laminates subjected to multi-axial loading.
- Authors: Kashtalyan M, Soutis C
- Issue date: 2016 Jul 13
- Comparison of Cyclic Hysteresis Behavior between Cross-Ply C/SiC and SiC/SiC Ceramic-Matrix Composites.
- Authors: Li L
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 19
- Acoustic emission monitoring of degradation of cross ply laminates.
- Authors: Aggelis DG, Barkoula NM, Matikas TE, Paipetis AS
- Issue date: 2010 Jun
- Fatigue Life Prediction for Transverse Crack Initiation of CFRP Cross-Ply and Quasi-Isotropic Laminates.
- Authors: Hosoi A, Kawada H
- Issue date: 2018 Jul 10