Single crystalline cylindrical nanowires – toward dense 3D arrays of magnetic vortices
AuthorsIvanov, Yurii P.
Vivas, Laura G.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMagnetic vortex-based media have recently been proposed for several applications of nanotechnology; however, because lithography is typically used for their preparation, their low-cost, large-scale fabrication is a challenge. One solution may be to use arrays of densely packed cobalt nanowires that have been efficiently fabricated by electrodeposition. In this work, we present this type of nanoscale magnetic structures that can hold multiple stable magnetic vortex domains at remanence with different chiralities. The stable vortex state is observed in arrays of monocrystalline cobalt nanowires with diameters as small as 45 nm and lengths longer than 200 nm with vanishing magnetic cross talk between closely packed neighboring wires in the array. Lorentz microscopy, electron holography and magnetic force microscopy, supported by micromagnetic simulations, show that the structure of the vortex state can be adjusted by varying the aspect ratio of the nanowires. The data we present here introduce a route toward the concept of 3-dimensional vortex-based magnetic memories.
CitationSingle crystalline cylindrical nanowires – toward dense 3D arrays of magnetic vortices 2016, 6:23844 Scientific Reports
SponsorsO.C.-F. and M.V. acknowledge support from the Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness under the grants MAT2013-47078-C2-2-P and MAT2013-48054-C2-1-R. J.K. and Y.P.I. acknowledge support from King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) and the Saudi Arabia Basic Industries Corporation (SABIC). A.C. acknowledges support from the Spanish Ministry of Science and Education, Consolider-Ingenio 2010 Program, Project No. CSD2006-53 and the Basque Government, ETORTEK Program, Project No. IE09-243.
PublisherNature Publishing Group
- Modulated Magnetic Nanowires for Controlling Domain Wall Motion: Toward 3D Magnetic Memories.
- Authors: Ivanov YP, Chuvilin A, Lopatin S, Kosel J
- Issue date: 2016 May 24
- Quantitative Nanoscale Magnetic Study of Isolated Diameter-Modulated FeCoCu Nanowires.
- Authors: Rodríguez LA, Bran C, Reyes D, Berganza E, Vázquez M, Gatel C, Snoeck E, Asenjo A
- Issue date: 2016 Oct 6
- Direct Observation of Current-Induced Motion of a 3D Vortex Domain Wall in Cylindrical Nanowires.
- Authors: Ivanov YP, Chuvilin A, Lopatin S, Mohammed H, Kosel J
- Issue date: 2017 May 24
- Correlated magnetic vortex chains in mesoscopic cobalt dot arrays.
- Authors: Natali M, Prejbeanu IL, Lebib A, Buda LD, Ounadjela K, Chen Y
- Issue date: 2002 Apr 15
- Co/Au multisegmented nanowires: a 3D array of magnetostatically coupled nanopillars.
- Authors: Bran C, Ivanov YP, Kosel J, Chubykalo-Fesenko O, Vazquez M
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 3