Proteomic Investigation of Rhizoctonia solani AG 4 Identifies Secretome and Mycelial Proteins with roles in Plant Cell Wall Degradation and Virulence
Roberts, Daniel P.
Garrett, Wesley M.
Natarajan, Savithiry S.
Jambhulkar, Prashant P.
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Pathogen Genomics Laboratory
Online Publication Date2016-04-06
Print Publication Date2016-04-20
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/604367
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRhizoctonia solani AG 4 is a soilborne necrotrophic fungal plant pathogen that causes economically important diseases on agronomic crops worldwide. Here we used a proteomics approach to characterize both intracellular proteins and the secretome of R. solani AG 4 isolate Rs23A under several growth conditions; the secretome being highly important in pathogenesis. From over 500 total secretome and soluble intracellular protein spots from 2-D gels, 457 protein spots were analyzed and 318 proteins positively matched with fungal proteins of known function by comparison with available R. solani genome databases specific for anastomosis groups 1-IA, 1-IB, and 3. These proteins were categorized to possible cellular locations and functional groups; and for some proteins their putative roles in plant cell wall degradation and virulence. The majority of the secreted proteins were grouped to extracellular regions and contain hydrolase activity.
CitationProteomic Investigation of Rhizoctonia solani AG 4 Identifies Secretome and Mycelial Proteins with roles in Plant Cell Wall Degradation and Virulence. 2016 Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry
SponsorsWe would like to thank S. Lakshman for a portion of the technical support.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Optimized protein extraction methods for proteomic analysis of Rhizoctonia solani.
- Authors: Lakshman DK, Natarajan SS, Lakshman S, Garrett WM, Dhar AK
- Issue date: 2008 Nov-Dec
- Gene expression profiling of the plant pathogenic basidiomycetous fungus Rhizoctonia solani AG 4 reveals putative virulence factors.
- Authors: Lakshman DK, Alkharouf N, Roberts DP, Natarajan SS, Mitra A
- Issue date: 2012 Sep-Oct
- Identification and functional analysis of AG1-IA specific genes of Rhizoctonia solani.
- Authors: Ghosh S, Gupta SK, Jha G
- Issue date: 2014 Nov
- Proteomic analysis of Rhizoctonia solani AG-1 sclerotia maturation.
- Authors: Kwon YS, Kim SG, Chung WS, Bae H, Jeong SW, Shin SC, Jeong MJ, Park SC, Kwak YS, Bae DW, Lee YB
- Issue date: 2014 May-Jun
- iTRAQ-based proteomic analysis of defence responses triggered by the necrotrophic pathogen Rhizoctonia solani in cotton.
- Authors: Zhang M, Cheng ST, Wang HY, Wu JH, Luo YM, Wang Q, Wang FX, Xia GX
- Issue date: 2017 Jan 30