KAUST DepartmentComputer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Mechanical Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2016-03-29
Print Publication Date2016-09
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/603948
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn modern computing, the Boolean logic operations are set by interconnect schemes between the transistors. As the miniaturization in the component level to enhance the computational power is rapidly approaching physical limits, alternative computing methods are vigorously pursued. One of the desired aspects in the future computing approaches is the provision for hardware reconfigurability at run time to allow enhanced functionality. Here we demonstrate a reprogrammable logic device based on the electrothermal frequency modulation scheme of a single microelectromechanical resonator, capable of performing all the fundamental 2-bit logic functions as well as n-bit logic operations. Logic functions are performed by actively tuning the linear resonance frequency of the resonator operated at room temperature and under modest vacuum conditions, reprogrammable by the a.c.-driving frequency. The device is fabricated using complementary metal oxide semiconductor compatible mass fabrication process, suitable for on-chip integration, and promises an alternative electromechanical computing scheme.
CitationMicroelectromechanical reprogrammable logic device 2016, 7:11137 Nature Communications
SponsorsWe acknowledge Ulrich Buttner, EMPIRe Lab at KAUST for helping with laser cutting the chips. This research has been funded by KAUST.
- Interconnect-free parallel logic circuits in a single mechanical resonator.
- Authors: Mahboob I, Flurin E, Nishiguchi K, Fujiwara A, Yamaguchi H
- Issue date: 2011 Feb 15
- Reconfigurable Boolean logic using magnetic single-electron transistors.
- Authors: Gonzalez-Zalba MF, Ciccarelli C, Zarbo LP, Irvine AC, Campion RC, Gallagher BL, Jungwirth T, Ferguson AJ, Wunderlich J
- Issue date: 2015
- Integrated circuits and logic operations based on single-layer MoS2.
- Authors: Radisavljevic B, Whitwick MB, Kis A
- Issue date: 2011 Dec 27
- Programmable computing with a single magnetoresistive element.
- Authors: Ney A, Pampuch C, Koch R, Ploog KH
- Issue date: 2003 Oct 2
- All-optical ultrafast XOR/XNOR logic gates, binary counter, and double-bit comparator with silicon microring resonators.
- Authors: Sethi P, Roy S
- Issue date: 2014 Oct 1