KAUST DepartmentPhysical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2016-02-19
Print Publication Date2016-02-19
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/600685
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractControl over surface plasmons (SPs) is essential in a variety of cutting-edge applications, such as highly integrated photonic signal processing systems, deep-subwavelength lasing, high-resolution imaging, and ultrasensitive biomedical detection. Recently, asymmetric excitation of SPs has attracted enormous interest. In free space, the analog of electromagnetically induced transparency (EIT) in metamaterials has been widely investigated to uniquely manipulate the electromagnetic waves. In the near field, we show that the dark mode coupling mechanism of the classical EIT effect enables an exotic and straightforward excitation of SPs in a metasurface system. This leads to not only resonant excitation of asymmetric SPs but also controllable exotic SP focusing by the use of the Huygens-Fresnel principle. Our experimental findings manifest the potential of developing plasmonic metadevices with unique functionalities.
CitationAsymmetric excitation of surface plasmons by dark mode coupling 2016, 2 (2):e1501142 Science Advances
SponsorsThis work was supported by the Cooperative Innovation Center of Terahertz Science, the National Key Basic Research Program of China (grant no. 2014CB339800), the National Science Foundation of China (grant nos. 61138001, 61422509, 61427814, and 61420106006), the Program for Changjiang Scholars and Innovative Research Team in University (grant no. IRT13033), the Major National Development Project of Scientific Instruments and Equipment (grant no. 2011YQ150021), the Specialized Research Fund for the Doctoral Program of Higher Education (grant no. 20110032120058), and the U.S. NSF (grant no. ECCS-1232081).
- Electromagnetically induced absorption in a three-resonator metasurface system.
- Authors: Zhang X, Xu N, Qu K, Tian Z, Singh R, Han J, Agarwal GS, Zhang W
- Issue date: 2015 May 29
- Plasmonic metalens based on coupled resonators for focusing of surface plasmons.
- Authors: Xu Q, Zhang X, Xu Y, Li Q, Li Y, Ouyang C, Tian Z, Gu J, Zhang W, Zhang X, Han J, Zhang W
- Issue date: 2016 Nov 29
- Near-field surface plasmons on quasicrystal metasurfaces.
- Authors: Yang Q, Zhang X, Li S, Xu Q, Singh R, Liu Y, Li Y, Kruk SS, Gu J, Han J, Zhang W
- Issue date: 2016 Dec 23
- Role of asymmetric environment on the dark mode excitation in metamaterial analogue of electromagnetically-induced transparency.
- Authors: Dong ZG, Liu H, Xu MX, Li T, Wang SM, Cao JX, Zhu SN, Zhang X
- Issue date: 2010 Oct 11
- Analog of multiple electromagnetically induced transparency using double-layered metasurfaces.
- Authors: Liu S, Xu Z, Yin X, Zhao H
- Issue date: 2020 May 21