Green Fluorescence of Cytaeis Hydroids Living in Association with Nassarius Gastropods in the Red Sea
AuthorsPrudkovsky, Andrey A.
Ivanenko, Viatcheslav N.
Nikitin, Mikhail A.
Lukyanov, Konstantin A.
Reimer, James D.
Berumen, Michael L.
KAUST DepartmentRed Sea Research Center (RSRC)
Biological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractGreen Fluorescent Proteins (GFPs) have been reported from a wide diversity of medusae, but only a few observations of green fluorescence have been reported for hydroid colonies. In this study, we report on fluorescence displayed by hydroid polyps of the genus Cytaeis Eschscholtz, 1829 (Hydrozoa: Anthoathecata: Filifera) found at night time in the southern Red Sea (Saudi Arabia) living on shells of the gastropod Nassarius margaritifer (Dunker, 1847) (Neogastropoda: Buccinoidea: Nassariidae). We examined the fluorescence of these polyps and compare with previously reported data. Intensive green fluorescence with a spectral peak at 518 nm was detected in the hypostome of the Cytaeis polyps, unlike in previous reports that reported fluorescence either in the basal parts of polyps or in other locations on hydroid colonies. These results suggest that fluorescence may be widespread not only in medusae, but also in polyps, and also suggests that the patterns of fluorescence localization can vary in closely related species. The fluorescence of polyps may be potentially useful for field identification of cryptic species and study of geographical distributions of such hydroids and their hosts.
CitationGreen Fluorescence of Cytaeis Hydroids Living in Association with Nassarius Gastropods in the Red Sea 2016, 11 (2):e0146861 PLOS ONE
PublisherPublic Library of Science (PLoS)
- The polyps of Oceania armata identified by DNA barcoding (Cnidaria, Hydrozoa).
- Authors: Schuchert P
- Issue date: 2016 Oct 18
- Molecular phylogenetics of the siphonophora (Cnidaria), with implications for the evolution of functional specialization.
- Authors: Dunn CW, Pugh PR, Haddock SH
- Issue date: 2005 Dec
- [Spectral diversity among the members of the family of Green Fluorescent Protein in hydroid jellyfish (Cnidaria, Hydrozoa)].
- Authors: Ianushevich IuG, Shagin DA, Fradkov AF, Shakhbazov KS, Barsova EV, Gurskaia NG, Labas IuA, Matts MV, Luk'ianov kA, Lul'ianov SA
- Issue date: 2005 Jan-Feb
- A review of the currently recognised opecoelid cercariae, including the identification and emergence ecology of Cercaria capricornia XII (Digenea: Opecoelidae) from Nassarius olivaceus (Gastropoda: Nassariidae) in Central Queensland, Australia.
- Authors: Barnett LJ, Miller TL, Cribb TH
- Issue date: 2014 Oct
- Review of some little-known benthic hydroids (Cnidaria, Hydrozoa) from the Southern Ocean.
- Authors: Cantero ÁL
- Issue date: 2015 Jun 12