Recent Developments in p-Type Oxide Semiconductor Materials and Devices
KAUST DepartmentMaterials Science and Engineering Program
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/600277
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe development of transparent p-type oxide semiconductors with good performance may be a true enabler for a variety of applications where transparency, power efficiency, and greater circuit complexity are needed. Such applications include transparent electronics, displays, sensors, photovoltaics, memristors, and electrochromics. Hence, here, recent developments in materials and devices based on p-type oxide semiconductors are reviewed, including ternary Cu-bearing oxides, binary copper oxides, tin monoxide, spinel oxides, and nickel oxides. The crystal and electronic structures of these materials are discussed, along with approaches to enhance valence-band dispersion to reduce effective mass and increase mobility. Strategies to reduce interfacial defects, off-state current, and material instability are suggested. Furthermore, it is shown that promising progress has been made in the performance of various types of devices based on p-type oxides. Several innovative approaches exist to fabricate transparent complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) devices, including novel device fabrication schemes and utilization of surface chemistry effects, resulting in good inverter gains. However, despite recent developments, p-type oxides still lag in performance behind their n-type counterparts, which have entered volume production in the display market. Recent successes along with the hurdles that stand in the way of commercial success of p-type oxide semiconductors are presented.
CitationRecent Developments in p-Type Oxide Semiconductor Materials and Devices 2016:n/a Advanced Materials
SponsorsResearch reported in this publication was supported by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST). Authors also thank Dr. Mrinal K. Hota, Ms. Fwzah Alshammari, core laboratory staff, imaging and characterization staff of KAUST.
- Oxide semiconductor thin-film transistors: a review of recent advances.
- Authors: Fortunato E, Barquinha P, Martins R
- Issue date: 2012 Jun 12
- Nanostructured p-type semiconducting transparent oxides: promising materials for nano-active devices and the emerging field of "transparent nanoelectronics".
- Authors: Banerjee A, Chattopadhyay KK
- Issue date: 2008
- High-Performance WSe2 Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor Technology and Integrated Circuits.
- Authors: Yu L, Zubair A, Santos EJ, Zhang X, Lin Y, Zhang Y, Palacios T
- Issue date: 2015 Aug 12
- Highly Flexible Hybrid CMOS Inverter Based on Si Nanomembrane and Molybdenum Disulfide.
- Authors: Das T, Chen X, Jang H, Oh IK, Kim H, Ahn JH
- Issue date: 2016 Nov
- Metal oxides for optoelectronic applications.
- Authors: Yu X, Marks TJ, Facchetti A
- Issue date: 2016 Apr