KAUST Grant NumberSA-C0040
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe demonstrated two-input microdroplet-based universal logic gates using a liquid-electronic hybrid divider. All 16 Boolean logic functions have been realized by manipulating the applied voltages. The novel platform consists of a microfluidic chip with integrated microdroplet detectors and external electronic components. The microdroplet detectors act as the communication media for fluidic and electronic information exchange. The presence or absence of microdroplets at the detector translates into the binary signal 1 or 0. The embedded micro-mechanical pneumatically actuated valve (PAV), fabricated using the well-developed multilayer soft lithography technique, offers biocompatibility, flexibility and accuracy for the on-chip realization of different logic functions. The microfluidic chip can be scaled up to construct large-scale microfluidic logic computation. On the other hand, the microfluidic chip with a specific logic function can be applied to droplet-based chemical reactions for on-demand bio or chemical analysis. Our experimental results have presented an autonomously driven, precision-controlled microfluidic chip for chemical reactions based on the IF logic function. © 2012 The Royal Society of Chemistry.
CitationZhou B, Wang L, Li S, Wang X, Hui YS, et al. (2012) Universal logic gates via liquid-electronic hybrid divider. Lab Chip 12: 5211. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/c2lc40840f.
SponsorsThis publication is based on work partially supported by Award No. SA-C0040/UK-C0016, made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), and Hong Kong RGC grants HKUST 604710 and 605411.
PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
JournalLab on a Chip
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Pressure driven digital logic in PDMS based microfluidic devices fabricated by multilayer soft lithography.
- Authors: Devaraju NS, Unger MA
- Issue date: 2012 Nov 21
- Microfluidic pneumatic logic circuits and digital pneumatic microprocessors for integrated microfluidic systems.
- Authors: Rhee M, Burns MA
- Issue date: 2009 Nov 7
- Logic control of microfluidics with smart colloid.
- Authors: Wang L, Zhang M, Li J, Gong X, Wen W
- Issue date: 2010 Nov 7
- Complete all-optical processing polarization-based binary logic gates and optical processors.
- Authors: Zaghloul YA, Zaghloul AR
- Issue date: 2006 Oct 16
- Compact universal logic gates realized using quantization of current in nanodevices.
- Authors: Zhang W, Wu NJ, Yang F
- Issue date: 2007 Dec 12