Electroporation of micro-droplet encapsulated HeLa cells in oil phase
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractElectroporation (EP) is a method widely used to introduce foreign genes, drugs or dyes into cells by permeabilizing the plasma membrane with an external electric field. A variety of microfluidic EP devices have been reported so far. However, further integration of prior and posterior EP processes turns out to be very complicated, mainly due to the difficulty of developing an efficient method for precise manipulation of cells in microfluidics. In this study, by means of a T-junction structure within a delicate microfluidic device, we encapsulated HeLa cells in micro-droplet of poration medium in oil phase before EP, which has two advantages: (i) precise control of cell-encapsulating droplets in oil phase is much easier than the control of cell populations or individuals in aqueous buffers; (ii) this can minimize the electrochemical reactions on the electrodes. Finally, we successfully introduced fluorescent dyes into the micro-droplet encapsulated HeLa cells in oil phase. Our results reflected a novel way to realize the integrated biomicrofluidic system for EP. © 2010 Wiley-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA.
CitationXiao K, Zhang M, Chen S, Wang L, Chang DC, et al. (2010) Electroporation of micro-droplet encapsulated HeLa cells in oil phase. ELECTROPHORESIS 31: 3175–3180. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/elps.201000155.
SponsorsThe authors acknowledge the financial support provided by the Hong Kong Research Grants Council Grant No. HKUST 660207. This article is based on the work partially supported by Award No. SA-C0040/UK-C0016 made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST). The authors thank Dr. Chih-Kuan Tung and Jinbo Wu for their discussions with them.
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Picoliter-volume aqueous droplets in oil: electrochemical detection and yeast cell electroporation.
- Authors: Luo C, Yang X, Fu Q, Sun M, Ouyang Q, Chen Y, Ji H
- Issue date: 2006 May
- Droplet electroporation in microfluidics for efficient cell transformation with or without cell wall removal.
- Authors: Qu B, Eu YJ, Jeong WJ, Kim DP
- Issue date: 2012 Nov 7
- Electroporation of cells in microfluidic droplets.
- Authors: Zhan Y, Wang J, Bao N, Lu C
- Issue date: 2009 Mar 1
- A single cell electroporation chip.
- Authors: Khine M, Lau A, Ionescu-Zanetti C, Seo J, Lee LP
- Issue date: 2005 Jan
- Micro-electroporation of mesenchymal stem cells with alternating electrical current pulses.
- Authors: Ziv R, Steinhardt Y, Pelled G, Gazit D, Rubinsky B
- Issue date: 2009 Feb