A Variational approach to thin film hydrodynamics of binary mixtures
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn order to model the dynamics of thin films of mixtures, solutions, and suspensions, a thermodynamically consistent formulation is needed such that various coexisting dissipative processes with cross couplings can be correctly described in the presence of capillarity, wettability, and mixing effects. In the present work, we apply Onsager's variational principle to the formulation of thin film hydrodynamics for binary fluid mixtures. We first derive the dynamic equations in two spatial dimensions, one along the substrate and the other normal to the substrate. Then, using long-wave asymptotics, we derive the thin film equations in one spatial dimension along the substrate. This enables us to establish the connection between the present variational approach and the gradient dynamics formulation for thin films. It is shown that for the mobility matrix in the gradient dynamics description, Onsager's reciprocal symmetry is automatically preserved by the variational derivation. Furthermore, using local hydrodynamic variables, our variational approach is capable of introducing diffusive dissipation beyond the limit of dilute solute. Supplemented with a Flory-Huggins-type mixing free energy, our variational approach leads to a thin film model that treats solvent and solute in a symmetric manner. Our approach can be further generalized to include more complicated free energy and additional dissipative processes.
CitationXu X, Thiele U, Qian T (2015) A Variational approach to thin film hydrodynamics of binary mixtures. J Phys: Condens Matter 27: 085005. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/0953-8984/27/8/085005.
SponsorsThis work is supported by Hong Kong RGC Grant No 604013. T Qian and U Thiele would like to thank the Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences at the University of Cambridge for the Research Program 'Mathematical Modelling and Analysis of Complex Fluids and Active Media in Evolving Domains' in which this work was initiated.
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Onsager's variational principle in soft matter.
- Authors: Doi M
- Issue date: 2011 Jul 20
- Gradient dynamics description for films of mixtures and suspensions: dewetting triggered by coupled film height and concentration fluctuations.
- Authors: Thiele U, Todorova DV, Lopez H
- Issue date: 2013 Sep 13
- Onsager's variational principle for the dynamics of a vesicle in a Poiseuille flow.
- Authors: Oya Y, Kawakatsu T
- Issue date: 2018 Mar 21
- Anisotropic particle in viscous shear flow: Navier slip, reciprocal symmetry, and Jeffery orbit.
- Authors: Zhang J, Xu X, Qian T
- Issue date: 2015 Mar
- Variational formulation and numerical accuracy of a quantitative phase-field model for binary alloy solidification with two-sided diffusion.
- Authors: Ohno M, Takaki T, Shibuta Y
- Issue date: 2016 Jan