One-pot formation of SnO2 hollow nanospheres and α-Fe2O3@SnO2 nanorattles with large void space and their lithium storage properties
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/600233
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn this work, uniform SnO2 hollow nanospheres with large void space have been synthesized by a modified facile method. The void space can be easily controlled by varying the reaction time. The formation of interior void space is based on an inside-out Ostwald ripening mechanism. More importantly, this facile one-pot process can be extended to fabricate rattle-type hollow structures using α-Fe2O3@SnO2 as an example. Furthermore, the electrochemical lithium storage properties have been investigated. It is found that α-Fe2O3@SnO 2 nanorattles manifest a much lower initial irreversible loss and higher reversible capacity compared to SnO2 hollow spheres. This interesting finding supports a general hypothesis that a synergistic effect between functional core and shell materials can lead to improved lithium storage capabilities. © The Royal Society of Chemistry 2009.
CitationChen JS, Li CM, Zhou WW, Yan QY, Archer LA, et al. (2009) One-pot formation of SnO2 hollow nanospheres and α-Fe2O3@SnO2 nanorattles with large void space and their lithium storage properties. Nanoscale 1: 280. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/b9nr00102f.
SponsorsWe are grateful to the Nanyang Technological University and to the KAUST-Cornell (KAUST-CU) Center for Energy and Sustainability for financial support.
PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Formation of SnO2 hollow nanospheres inside mesoporous silica nanoreactors.
- Authors: Ding S, Chen JS, Qi G, Duan X, Wang Z, Giannelis EP, Archer LA, Lou XW
- Issue date: 2011 Jan 12
- One-step synthesis of SnO2 and TiO2 hollow nanostructures with various shapes and their enhanced lithium storage properties.
- Authors: Wang Z, Wang ZC, Madhavi S, Lou XW
- Issue date: 2012 Jun 11
- Nanofibers Comprising Yolk-Shell Sn@void@SnO/SnO₂ and Hollow SnO/SnO₂ and SnO₂ Nanospheres via the Kirkendall Diffusion Effect and Their Electrochemical Properties.
- Authors: Cho JS, Kang YC
- Issue date: 2015 Sep
- Controlled synthesis of monodisperse sub-100 nm hollow SnO2 nanospheres: a template- and surfactant-free solution-phase route, the growth mechanism, optical properties, and application as a photocatalyst.
- Authors: Wu W, Zhang S, Zhou J, Xiao X, Ren F, Jiang C
- Issue date: 2011 Aug 22
- Quasiemulsion-templated formation of α-Fe2O3 hollow spheres with enhanced lithium storage properties.
- Authors: Wang B, Chen JS, Wu HB, Wang Z, Lou XW
- Issue date: 2011 Nov 2