Potent Antifouling Resorcylic Acid Lactones from the Gorgonian-Derived Fungus Cochliobolus lunatus
AuthorsShao, Chang Lun
Wu, Hui Xian
Wang, Chang Yun
Liu, Qing Ai
Wei, Mei Yan
Gu, Yu Cheng
Zheng, Cai Juan
She, Zhi Gang
Lin, Yong Cheng
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/600224
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThree new 14-membered resorcylic acid lactones, two with a rare natural acetonide group and one with a 5-chloro-substituted lactone, named cochliomycins A-C (1-3), together with four known analogues, zeaenol (4), LL-Z1640-1 (5), LL-Z1640-2 (6), and paecilomycin F (7), were isolated from the culture broth of Cochliobolus lunatus, a fungus obtained from the gorgonian Dichotella gemmacea collected in the South China Sea. Their structures and the relative configurations of 1-3 were elucidated using comprehensive spectroscopic methods including NOESY spectra and chemical conversions. A transetherification reaction was also observed in which cochliomycin B (2) in a solution of CDCl3 slowly rearranged to give cochliomycin A (1) at room temperature. These resorcylic acid lactones were evaluated against the larval settlement of barnacle Balanus amphitrite, and antifouling activity was detected for the first time for this class of metabolites. The antibacterial and cytotoxic activities of these compounds were also examined. © 2011 The American Chemical Society and American Society of Pharmacognosy.
CitationShao C-L, Wu H-X, Wang C-Y, Liu Q-A, Xu Y, et al. (2011) Potent Antifouling Resorcylic Acid Lactones from the Gorgonian-Derived Fungus Cochliobolus lunatus . Journal of Natural Products 74: 629–633. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/np100641b.
SponsorsThis work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Nos. 30901879; 40976077; 40776073), the Research Fund for the Doctoral Program of Higher Education, Ministry of Education of China (No. 20090132110002), and the Basic Research Program of Science and Technology, Ministry of Science and Technology of China (No. 2007FY210500).
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
JournalJournal of Natural Products
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Antifouling and Fungicidal Resorcylic Acid Lactones from the Sea Anemone-Derived Fungus Cochliobolus lunatus.
- Authors: Liu QA, Shao CL, Gu YC, Blum M, Gan LS, Wang KL, Chen M, Wang CY
- Issue date: 2014 Apr 9
- Bioactive phenylalanine derivatives and cytochalasins from the soft coral-derived fungus, Aspergillus elegans.
- Authors: Zheng CJ, Shao CL, Wu LY, Chen M, Wang KL, Zhao DL, Sun XP, Chen GY, Wang CY
- Issue date: 2013 Jun 10
- Antifouling eunicellin-type diterpenoids from the gorgonian Astrogorgia sp.
- Authors: Lai D, Liu D, Deng Z, van Ofwegen L, Proksch P, Lin W
- Issue date: 2012 Sep 28
- Bioactive 11,20-epoxy-3,5(16)-diene briarane diterpenoids from the South China Sea gorgonian Dichotella gemmacea.
- Authors: Li C, La MP, Li L, Li XB, Tang H, Liu BS, Krohn K, Sun P, Yi YH, Zhang W
- Issue date: 2011 Jul 22
- Scalarane sesterterpenes from the sponge Hyatella sp.
- Authors: Jeon JE, Bae J, Lee KJ, Oh KB, Shin J
- Issue date: 2011 Apr 25