Copper affects biofilm inductiveness to larval settlement of the serpulid polychaete Hydroides elegans (Haswell)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCopper (Cu) contamination is a potential threat to the marine environment due to the use of Cu-based antifouling paints. Cu stress on larval settlement of the polychaete Hydroides elegans was investigated, and this was linked to Cu stress on biofilms and on the biofilm development process. The inductiveness of young biofilms was more easily altered by Cu stress than that of old biofilms, indicating the relative vulnerability of young biofilms. This might result from changes in bacterial survival, the bacterial community composition and the chemical profiles of young biofilms. Cu also affected biofilm development and the chemical high performance liquid chromatograph fingerprint profile. The results indicate that Cu affected larval settlement mainly through its effect on the process of biofilm development in the marine environment, and the chemical profile was crucial to biofilm inductiveness. It is strongly recommended that the effects of environmentally toxic substances on biofilms are evaluated in ecotoxicity bioassays using larval settlement of invertebrates as the end point. © 2010 Taylor & Francis.
CitationBao W-Y, Lee O-O, Chung H-C, Li M, Qian P-Y (2010) Copper affects biofilm inductiveness to larval settlement of the serpulid polychaete Hydroides elegans (Haswell) . Biofouling 26: 119–128. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/08927010903329680.
SponsorsThe authors are grateful to the referees for their helpful comments on the manuscript. They also thank Dr SM Arellano for proof-reading the manuscript. This study was supported by an RGC grant ( 662207) and a KAUST Global Special Academic Partnership Program to PY Qian.
PublisherInforma UK Limited
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Bacterial community succession and chemical profiles of subtidal biofilms in relation to larval settlement of the polychaete Hydroides elegans.
- Authors: Chung HC, Lee OO, Huang YL, Mok SY, Kolter R, Qian PY
- Issue date: 2010 Jun
- Larval development and post-settlement metamorphosis of the barnacle Balanus albicostatus Pilsbry and the serpulid polychaete Pomatoleios kraussii Baird: Impact of a commonly used antifouling biocide, Irgarol 1051.
- Authors: Khandeparker L, Desai D, Shirayama Y
- Issue date: 2005
- Induction of larval settlement in the serpulid polychaete Hydroides elegans (Haswell): role of bacterial extracellular polymers.
- Authors: Lau SC, Harder T, Qian PY
- Issue date: 2003 Jun
- Hypoxia induces abnormal larval development and affects biofilm-larval interaction in the serpulid polychaete Hydroides elegans.
- Authors: Shin PK, Leung JY, Qiu JW, Ang PO, Chiu JM, Thiyagarajan V, Cheung SG
- Issue date: 2013 Nov 15
- Copper complexation by fulvic acid affects copper toxicity to the larvae of the polychaete Hydroides elegans.
- Authors: Qiu JW, Tang X, Zheng C, Li Y, Huang Y
- Issue date: 2007 Dec