ZnO nanotube-based dye-sensitized solar cell and its application in self-powered devices
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAbstract High-density vertically aligned ZnO nanotube arrays were fabricated on FTO substrates by a simple and facile chemical etching process from electrodeposited ZnO nanorods. The nanotube formation was rationalized in terms of selective dissolution of the (001) polar face. The morphology of the nanotubes can be readily controlled by electrodeposition parameters for the nanorod precursor. By employing the 5.1 μm-length nanotubes as the photoanode for a dye-sensitized solar cell (DSSC), a full-sun conversion efficiency of 1.18% was achieved. Furthermore, we show that the DSSC unit can serve as a robust power source to drive a humidity sensor, with a potential for self-powered devices. © 2010 IOP Publishing Ltd.
CitationHan J, Fan F, Xu C, Lin S, Wei M, et al. (2010) ZnO nanotube-based dye-sensitized solar cell and its application in self-powered devices. Nanotechnology 21: 405203. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/0957-4484/21/40/405203.
SponsorsThis research was supported by BES DOE (DE-FG02-07ER46394), the KAUST Global Research Partnership and NSF (DMS0706436 and CMMI 0403671). JH, FF and SL thank the partial fellowship support by their universities and the China Scholarship Council (CSC) (no. 20073020).
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Vertically aligned ZnO nanorods on hot filament chemical vapor deposition grown graphene oxide thin film substrate: solar energy conversion.
- Authors: Ameen S, Akhtar MS, Song M, Shin HS
- Issue date: 2012 Aug
- Electrodeposition of hierarchical ZnO nanorod-nanosheet structures and their applications in dye-sensitized solar cells.
- Authors: Qiu J, Guo M, Wang X
- Issue date: 2011 Jul
- Polyethylenimine-assisted growth of high-aspect-ratio nitrogen-doped ZnO (NZO) nanorod arrays and their effect on performance of dye-sensitized solar cells.
- Authors: Mahmood K, Swain BS, Han GS, Kim BJ, Jung HS
- Issue date: 2014 Jul 9
- Growth of oriented single-crystalline rutile TiO(2) nanorods on transparent conducting substrates for dye-sensitized solar cells.
- Authors: Liu B, Aydil ES
- Issue date: 2009 Mar 25
- Aligned arrays of nanotubes and segmented nanotubes on substrates fabricated by electrodeposition onto nanorods.
- Authors: Sander MS, Gao H
- Issue date: 2005 Sep 7