UV-assisted capillary force lithography for engineering biomimetic multiscale hierarchical structures: From lotus leaf to gecko foot hairs
KAUST Grant NumberK.UK-F1-037-02
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis feature article provides an overview of the recently developed two-step UV-assisted capillary force lithography and its application to fabricating well-defined micro/nanoscale hierarchical structures. This method utilizes an oxygen inhibition effect in the course of UV irradiation curing and a two-step moulding process, to form multiscale hierarchical or suspended nanobridge structures in a rapid and reproducible manner. After a brief description of the fabrication principles, several examples of the two-step UV-assisted moulding technique are presented. In addition, emerging applications of the multiscale hierarchical structures are briefly described. © The Royal Society of Chemistry 2009.
CitationJeong HE, Kwak R, Khademhosseini A, Suh KY (2009) UV-assisted capillary force lithography for engineering biomimetic multiscale hierarchical structures: From lotus leaf to gecko foot hairs. Nanoscale 1: 331. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/b9nr00106a.
SponsorsThis work was supported by the Korea Science & Engineering Foundation through the Nano R&D Program (Grant 200702605), the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) program (No. K.UK-F1-037-02) and the Micro Thermal System Research Center at Seoul National University.
PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Bioinspired structured surfaces.
- Authors: Bhushan B
- Issue date: 2012 Jan 24
- Superhydrophobic surfaces developed by mimicking hierarchical surface morphology of lotus leaf.
- Authors: Latthe SS, Terashima C, Nakata K, Fujishima A
- Issue date: 2014 Apr 4
- Mimicking biological structured surfaces by phase-separation micromolding.
- Authors: Gao J, Liu Y, Xu H, Wang Z, Zhang X
- Issue date: 2009 Apr 21
- Fractal Surfaces of Molecular Crystals Mimicking Lotus Leaf with Phototunable Double Roughness Structures.
- Authors: Nishimura R, Hyodo K, Sawaguchi H, Yamamoto Y, Nonomura Y, Mayama H, Yokojima S, Nakamura S, Uchida K
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 17
- A new method for producing "Lotus Effect" on a biomimetic shark skin.
- Authors: Liu Y, Li G
- Issue date: 2012 Dec 15