Unexpected Molecular Sieving Properties of Zeolitic Imidazolate Framework-8
KAUST Grant NumberKUS-I1-011-21
Online Publication Date2012-07-30
Print Publication Date2012-08-16
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/600133
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe studied molecular sieving properties of zeolitic imidazolate framework-8 (ZIF-8) by estimating the thermodynamically corrected diffusivities of probe molecules at 35 °C. From helium (2.6 Å) to iso-C 4H 10 (5.0 Å), the corrected diffusivity drops 14 orders of magnitude. Our results further suggest that the effective aperture size of ZIF-8 for molecular sieving is in the range of 4.0 to 4.2 Å, which is significantly larger than the XRD-derived value (3.4 Å) and between the well-known aperture size of zeolite 4A (3.8 Å) and 5A (4.3 Å). Interestingly, because of aperture flexibility, the studied C 4 hydrocarbon molecules that are larger than this effective aperture size still adsorb in the micropores of ZIF-8 with kinetic selectivities for iso-C 4H 8/iso-C 4H 10 of 180 and n-C 4H 10/iso-C 4H 10 of 2.5 × 10 6. These unexpected molecular sieving properties open up new opportunities for ZIF materials for separations that cannot be economically achieved by traditional microporous adsorbents such as synthetic zeolites. © 2012 American Chemical Society.
CitationZhang C, Lively RP, Zhang K, Johnson JR, Karvan O, et al. (2012) Unexpected Molecular Sieving Properties of Zeolitic Imidazolate Framework-8. The Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters 3: 2130–2134. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/jz300855a.
SponsorsWe would like to thank Dr. Ronald Chance for insightful comments on the manuscript and Hongzhi Wang for help on crystal size analysis. This publication is based on work supported by award no. KUS-I1-011-21, made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Comparison of the behavior of metal-organic frameworks and zeolites for hydrocarbon separations.
- Authors: Peralta D, Chaplais G, Simon-Masseron A, Barthelet K, Chizallet C, Quoineaud AA, Pirngruber GD
- Issue date: 2012 May 16
- Rapid One-Pot Microwave Synthesis of Mixed-Linker Hybrid Zeolitic-Imidazolate Framework Membranes for Tunable Gas Separations.
- Authors: Hillman F, Brito J, Jeong HK
- Issue date: 2018 Feb 14
- Thermal structural transitions and carbon dioxide adsorption properties of zeolitic imidazolate framework-7 (ZIF-7).
- Authors: Cai W, Lee T, Lee M, Cho W, Han DY, Choi N, Yip AC, Choi J
- Issue date: 2014 Jun 4
- Tailoring the Transport Properties of Zeolitic Imidazolate Frameworks by Post-Synthetic Thermal Modification.
- Authors: Zhang C, Koros WJ
- Issue date: 2015 Oct 28
- Effects of molecular sieving and electrostatic enhancement in the adsorption of organic compounds on the zeolitic imidazolate framework ZIF-8.
- Authors: Luebbers MT, Wu T, Shen L, Masel RI
- Issue date: 2010 Oct 5