Ultrafast Electron Transfer at Organic Semiconductor Interfaces: Importance of Molecular Orientation
KAUST Grant NumberKUS-C1-015-21
Online Publication Date2014-12-15
Print Publication Date2015-01-02
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/600118
MetadataShow full item record
Abstract© 2014 American Chemical Society. Much is known about the rate of photoexcited charge generation in at organic donor/acceptor (D/A) heterojunctions overaged over all relative arrangements. However, there has been very little experimental work investigating how the photoexcited electron transfer (ET) rate depends on the precise relative molecular orientation between D and A in thin solid films. This is the question that we address in this work. We find that the ET rate depends strongly on the relative molecular arrangement: The interface where the model donor compound copper phthalocyanine is oriented face-on with respect to the fullerene C60 acceptor yields a rate that is approximately 4 times faster than that of the edge-on oriented interface. Our results suggest that the D/A electronic coupling is significantly enhanced in the face-on case, which agrees well with theoretical predictions, underscoring the importance of controlling the relative interfacial molecular orientation.
CitationAyzner AL, Nordlund D, Kim D-H, Bao Z, Toney MF (2015) Ultrafast Electron Transfer at Organic Semiconductor Interfaces: Importance of Molecular Orientation. The Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters 6: 6–12. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/jz502253r.
SponsorsThis work was partially supported by the Center for Advanced
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Disrupted Attosecond Charge Carrier Delocalization at a Hybrid Organic/Inorganic Semiconductor Interface.
- Authors: Racke DA, Kelly LL, Kim H, Schulz P, Sigdel A, Berry JJ, Graham S, Nordlund D, Monti OL
- Issue date: 2015 May 21
- Understanding the Interface Dipole of Copper Phthalocyanine (CuPc)/C60: Theory and Experiment.
- Authors: Sai N, Gearba R, Dolocan A, Tritsch JR, Chan WL, Chelikowsky JR, Leung K, Zhu X
- Issue date: 2012 Aug 16
- The Effect of Interfacial Geometry on Charge-Transfer States in the Phthalocyanine/Fullerene Organic Photovoltaic System.
- Authors: Lee MH, Geva E, Dunietz BD
- Issue date: 2016 May 19
- Charge Transfer Dynamics at Dye-Sensitized ZnO and TiO2 Interfaces Studied by Ultrafast XUV Photoelectron Spectroscopy.
- Authors: Borgwardt M, Wilke M, Kampen T, Mähl S, Xiao M, Spiccia L, Lange KM, Kiyan IY, Aziz EF
- Issue date: 2016 Apr 13
- Impact of interfacial molecular orientation on radiative recombination and charge generation efficiency.
- Authors: Ran NA, Roland S, Love JA, Savikhin V, Takacs CJ, Fu YT, Li H, Coropceanu V, Liu X, Brédas JL, Bazan GC, Toney MF, Neher D, Nguyen TQ
- Issue date: 2017 Jul 19