Ultradense, Deep Subwavelength Nanowire Array Photovoltaics As Engineered Optical Thin Films
AbstractA photovoltaic device comprised of an array of 20 nm wide, 32 nm pitch array of silicon nanowires is modeled as an optical material. The nanowire array (NWA) has characteristic device features that are deep in the subwavelength regime for light, which permits a number of simplifying approximations. Using photocurrent measurements as a probe of the absorptance, we show that the NWA optical properties can be accurately modeled with rigorous coupled-wave analysis. The densely structured NWAs behave as homogeneous birefringent materials into the ultraviolet with effective optical properties that are accurately modeled using the dielectric functions of bulk Si and SiO 2, coupled with a physical model for the NWA derived from ellipsometry and transmission electron microscopy. © 2010 American Chemical Society.
CitationTham D, Heath JR (2010) Ultradense, Deep Subwavelength Nanowire Array Photovoltaics As Engineered Optical Thin Films. Nano Lett 10: 4429–4434. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/nl102199b.
SponsorsThis work was funded by the Department of Energy (DE-FG02-04ER46175). D.T. gratefully acknowledges support by the KAUST Scholar Award. Minority carrier diffusion length measurements were made at the Molecular Materials Research Center of the Beckman Institute, while FIB lift-out and TEM imaging were performed in the Kavli Nanoscience Institute, both at the California Institute of Technology.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Hybrid heterojunction and photoelectrochemistry solar cell based on silicon nanowires and double-walled carbon nanotubes.
- Authors: Shu Q, Wei J, Wang K, Zhu H, Li Z, Jia Y, Gui X, Guo N, Li X, Ma C, Wu D
- Issue date: 2009 Dec
- Characterization of intrinsic a-Si:H films prepared by inductively coupled plasma chemical vapor deposition for solar cell applications.
- Authors: Jeong C, Boo S, Jeon M, Kamisako K
- Issue date: 2007 Nov
- Light trapping in silicon nanowire solar cells.
- Authors: Garnett E, Yang P
- Issue date: 2010 Mar 10
- Hybrid solar cells from P3HT and silicon nanocrystals.
- Authors: Liu CY, Holman ZC, Kortshagen UR
- Issue date: 2009 Jan
- Optical absorption enhancement in silicon nanowire arrays with a large lattice constant for photovoltaic applications.
- Authors: Lin C, Povinelli ML
- Issue date: 2009 Oct 26