Tris(2-(1 H -pyrazol-1-yl)pyridine)cobalt(III) as p-Type Dopant for Organic Semiconductors and Its Application in Highly Efficient Solid-State Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells
Nazeeruddin, Mohammad K.
KAUST Grant NumberKUS-C1-015- 21
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/600087
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractChemical doping is an important strategy to alter the charge-transport properties of both molecular and polymeric organic semiconductors that find widespread application in organic electronic devices. We report on the use of a new class of Co(III) complexes as p-type dopants for triarylamine-based hole conductors such as spiro-MeOTAD and their application in solid-state dye-sensitized solar cells (ssDSCs). We show that the proposed compounds fulfill the requirements for this application and that the discussed strategy is promising for tuning the conductivity of spiro-MeOTAD in ssDSCs, without having to rely on the commonly employed photo-doping. By using a recently developed high molar extinction coefficient organic D-π-A sensitizer and p-doped spiro-MeOTAD as hole conductor, we achieved a record power conversion efficiency of 7.2%, measured under standard solar conditions (AM1.5G, 100 mW cm -2). We expect these promising new dopants to find widespread applications in organic electronics in general and photovoltaics in particular. © 2011 American Chemical Society.
CitationBurschka J, Dualeh A, Kessler F, Baranoff E, Cevey-Ha N-L, et al. (2011) Tris(2-(1 H -pyrazol-1-yl)pyridine)cobalt(III) as p-Type Dopant for Organic Semiconductors and Its Application in Highly Efficient Solid-State Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells . Journal of the American Chemical Society 133: 18042–18045. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/ja207367t.
SponsorsThe authors thank Dr. Hoi Nok Tsao for help with conductivity measurements and Prof. Peng Wang for providing the C220 sensitizer. This publication is partially based on work supported by the Center for Advanced Molecular Photovoltaics (Award No KUS-C1-015- 21), made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST). M.K.N. thanks the WCU (the Ministry of Education and Science) Program (No. R31-2008-000-10035-0).
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- AgTFSI as p-type dopant for efficient and stable solid-state dye-sensitized and perovskite solar cells.
- Authors: Xu B, Huang J, Ågren H, Kloo L, Hagfeldt A, Sun L
- Issue date: 2014 Dec
- Cobalt dopant with deep redox potential for organometal halide hybrid solar cells.
- Authors: Koh TM, Dharani S, Li H, Prabhakar RR, Mathews N, Grimsdale AC, Mhaisalkar SG
- Issue date: 2014 Jul
- Engineering organic sensitizers for iodine-free dye-sensitized solar cells: red-shifted current response concomitant with attenuated charge recombination.
- Authors: Bai Y, Zhang J, Zhou D, Wang Y, Zhang M, Wang P
- Issue date: 2011 Aug 3
- Efficient and stable solid-state dye-sensitized solar cells based on a high-molar-extinction-coefficient sensitizer.
- Authors: Wang M, Moon SJ, Xu M, Chittibabu K, Wang P, Cevey-Ha NL, Humphry-Baker R, Zakeeruddin SM, Grätzel M
- Issue date: 2010 Jan
- An organic D-π-A dye for record efficiency solid-state sensitized heterojunction solar cells.
- Authors: Cai N, Moon SJ, Cevey-Ha L, Moehl T, Humphry-Baker R, Wang P, Zakeeruddin SM, Grätzel M
- Issue date: 2011 Apr 13