Transformation of Nickelalactones to Methyl Acrylate: On the Way to a Catalytic Conversion of Carbon Dioxide
AuthorsLee, S. Y. Tina
Herrmann, Wolfgang A.
Kühn, Fritz E.
KAUST Grant NumberKSA-C0069/UK-C0020
Online Publication Date2011-08-26
Print Publication Date2011-09-19
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/600060
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMu-nick: The methyl iodide-mediated ring opening of nickelalactones, which can be formed by oxidative coupling of carbon dioxide and ethylene at Ni 0 complexes, induces β-H elimination, producing methyl acrylate in yields of up to 56 %. This reaction is found to be very sensitive to the ligands coordinated to the central nickel atom. © 2011 WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim.
CitationLee SYT, Cokoja M, Drees M, Li Y, Mink J, et al. (2011) Transformation of Nickelalactones to Methyl Acrylate: On the Way to a Catalytic Conversion of Carbon Dioxide. ChemSusChem 4: 1275–1279. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/cssc.201000445.
SponsorsThis publication is based on work supported by Award KSA-C0069/UK-C0020, made by the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST). The authors thank Dr. Bettina Bechlars for the measurement and refinement of the X-ray single crystal structure of complex 1. The authors also thank the Leibniz-Rechenzentrum for providing computing time.
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Transformation of carbon dioxide with homogeneous transition-metal catalysts: a molecular solution to a global challenge?
- Authors: Cokoja M, Bruckmeier C, Rieger B, Herrmann WA, Kühn FE
- Issue date: 2011 Sep 5
- A key step in the formation of acrylic acid from CO2 and ethylene: the transformation of a nickelalactone into a nickel-acrylate complex.
- Authors: Fischer R, Langer J, Malassa A, Walther D, Görls H, Vaughan G
- Issue date: 2006 Jun 21
- Carboxylation of methyl acrylate by carbon dioxide radical anions in gas-phase water clusters.
- Authors: Akhgarnusch A, Höckendorf RF, Hao Q, Jäger KP, Siu CK, Beyer MK
- Issue date: 2013 Aug 26
- Method for the parallel synthesis of alpha-methylene-gamma-lactones from a fluorous acrylate.
- Authors: Le Lamer AC, Gouault N, David M, Boustie J, Uriac P
- Issue date: 2006 Sep-Oct
- Evidence for spontaneous release of acrylates from a transition-metal complex upon coupling ethene or propene with a carboxylic moiety or CO(2).
- Authors: Aresta M, Pastore C, Giannoccaro P, Kovács G, Dibenedetto A, Pápai I
- Issue date: 2007