Timing matters: the underappreciated role of temperature ramp rate for shape control and reproducibility of quantum dot synthesis
KAUST Grant NumberKUS-C1-018-02
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/600028
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractUnderstanding the coupled kinetic and thermodynamics factors governing colloidal nanocrystals nucleation and growth are critical factors in the predictable and reproducible synthesis of advanced nanomaterials. We show that the temporal temperature profile is decisive in tuning the particle shape from pseudo-spherical to monodisperse cubes. The shape of the nanocrystals was characterized by transmission electron microscopy and X-ray diffraction. We introduce a mechanism for the shape controlled synthesis in the context of temperature-dependent nucleation and growth and provide experimental evidence to support it. © 2013 The Royal Society of Chemistry.
CitationBaumgardner WJ, Quan Z, Fang J, Hanrath T (2012) Timing matters: the underappreciated role of temperature ramp rate for shape control and reproducibility of quantum dot synthesis. Nanoscale 4: 3625. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/c2nr31054f.
SponsorsThe authors would like to thank Richard Robinson for helpful discussions. This publication was based on work supported by Award No. KUS-C1-018-02, made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST). We also acknowledge the Cornell Center for Materials Science (NSF DMR-0520404).
PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Two-phase synthesis of shape-controlled colloidal zirconia nanocrystals and their characterization.
- Authors: Zhao N, Pan D, Nie W, Ji X
- Issue date: 2006 Aug 9
- Study of nucleation and growth in the organometallic synthesis of magnetic alloy nanocrystals: the role of nucleation rate in size control of CoPt3 nanocrystals.
- Authors: Shevchenko EV, Talapin DV, Schnablegger H, Kornowski A, Festin O, Svedlindh P, Haase M, Weller H
- Issue date: 2003 Jul 30
- Facile synthesis of highly luminescent Mn-doped ZnS nanocrystals.
- Authors: Zhang W, Li Y, Zhang H, Zhou X, Zhong X
- Issue date: 2011 Oct 17
- Shape- and phase-controlled synthesis of monodisperse, single-crystalline ternary chalcogenide colloids through a convenient solution synthesis strategy.
- Authors: Du W, Qian X, Yin J, Gong Q
- Issue date: 2007
- Low temperature synthesis of ZnS and CdZnS shells on CdSe quantum dots.
- Authors: Zhu H, Prakash A, Benoit DN, Jones CJ, Colvin VL
- Issue date: 2010 Jun 25