KAUST Grant NumberKUK-C1-013-04
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA simple model for a swimmer consisting of three colinearly linked spheres attached by rods and oscillating out of phase to break reciprocal motion is analyzed. With a prescribed forcing of the rods acting on the three spheres, the swimming dynamics are determined analytically in both a Newtonian Stokes fluid and a zero Reynolds number, nonlinear, Oldroyd-B viscoelastic fluid with Deborah numbers of order one (or less), highlighting the effects of viscoelasticity on the net displacement of swimmer. For instance, the model predicts that the three-sphere swimmer with a sinusoidal, but nonreciprocal, forcing cycle within an Oldroyd-B representation of a polymeric Boger fluid moves a greater distance with enhanced efficiency in comparison with its motility in a Newtonian fluid of the same viscosity. Furthermore, the nonlinear contributions to the viscoelastic constitutive relation, while dynamically nontrivial, are predicted a posteriori to have no effect on swimmer motility at leading order, given a prescribed forcing between spheres. © 2013 American Physical Society.
CitationCurtis MP, Gaffney EA (2013) Three-sphere swimmer in a nonlinear viscoelastic medium. Phys Rev E 87. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevE.87.043006.
SponsorsThis publication is based on work supported by Award No. KUK-C1-013-04, made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST). We are grateful to Qixuan Wang (School of Mathematics, University of Minnesota) for discussions in the early phases of this work.
PublisherAmerican Physical Society (APS)
JournalPhysical Review E
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Two-sphere low-Reynolds-number propeller.
- Authors: Najafi A, Zargar R
- Issue date: 2010 Jun
- Locomotion of microorganisms near a no-slip boundary in a viscoelastic fluid.
- Authors: Yazdi S, Ardekani AM, Borhan A
- Issue date: 2014 Oct
- Speed of a swimming sheet in Newtonian and viscoelastic fluids.
- Authors: Dasgupta M, Liu B, Fu HC, Berhanu M, Breuer KS, Powers TR, Kudrolli A
- Issue date: 2013 Jan
- Locomotion of helical bodies in viscoelastic fluids: enhanced swimming at large helical amplitudes.
- Authors: Spagnolie SE, Liu B, Powers TR
- Issue date: 2013 Aug 9
- Wall-mode instability in plane shear flow of viscoelastic fluid over a deformable solid.
- Authors: Chokshi P, Bhade P, Kumaran V
- Issue date: 2015 Feb