Thermodynamic Upper Bound on Broadband Light Coupling with Photonic Structures
KAUST Grant NumberKUSC1-015-21
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe coupling between free space radiation and optical media critically influences the performance of optical devices. We show that, for any given photonic structure, the sum of the external coupling rates for all its optical modes are subject to an upper bound dictated by the second law of thermodynamics. Such bound limits how efficient light can be coupled to any photonic structure. As one example of application, we use this upper bound to derive the limit of light absorption in broadband solar absorbers. © 2012 American Physical Society.
CitationYu Z, Raman A, Fan S (2012) Thermodynamic Upper Bound on Broadband Light Coupling with Photonic Structures. Physical Review Letters 109. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.109.173901.
SponsorsThis work was supported in part by the Center for Advanced Molecular Photovoltaics (Grant No. KUSC1-015-21), made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, and by Department of Energy Grant No. DE-FG02-07ER46426. A. R. also acknowledges the support of the Alberta Scholarship Programs Sir James Lougheed Award of Distinction.
PublisherAmerican Physical Society (APS)
JournalPhysical Review Letters
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Enhancement of broadband optical absorption in photovoltaic devices by band-edge effect of photonic crystals.
- Authors: Tanaka Y, Kawamoto Y, Fujita M, Noda S
- Issue date: 2013 Aug 26
- Dielectric GaAs antenna ensuring an efficient broadband coupling between an InAs quantum dot and a Gaussian optical beam.
- Authors: Munsch M, Malik NS, Dupuy E, Delga A, Bleuse J, Gérard JM, Claudon J, Gregersen N, Mørk J
- Issue date: 2013 Apr 26
- Detailed Balance Limit of Efficiency of Broadband-Pumped Lasers.
- Authors: Nechayev S, Rotschild C
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 13
- Atomically Thin MoS2 Narrowband and Broadband Light Superabsorbers.
- Authors: Huang L, Li G, Gurarslan A, Yu Y, Kirste R, Guo W, Zhao J, Collazo R, Sitar Z, Parsons GN, Kudenov M, Cao L
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 23
- Broadband light absorption with multiple surface plasmon polariton waves excited at the interface of a metallic grating and photonic crystal.
- Authors: Hall AS, Faryad M, Barber GD, Liu L, Erten S, Mayer TS, Lakhtakia A, Mallouk TE
- Issue date: 2013 Jun 25