The origin of enhanced optical absorption in solar cells with metal nanoparticles embedded in the active layer
Online Publication Date2010-04-29
Print Publication Date2010-05-10
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/599942
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe analyze the enhancement in optical absorption of an absorbing medium when spherical metal nanoparticles are embedded in it. Our analysis uses generalized Mie theory to calculate the absorbed optical power as a function of the distance from the metal nanoparticle. This analysis is used to evaluate the potential of enhancing optical absorption in thin-film solar cells by embedding spherical metal nanoparticles. We consider the trade-off between maximizing overall optical absorption and ensuring that a large fraction of the incident optical power is dissipated in the absorbing host medium rather than in the metal nanoparticle. We show that enhanced optical absorption results from strong scattering by the metal nanoparticle which locally enhances the optical electric fields. We also discuss the effect of a thin dielectric encapsulation of the metal nanoparticles. ©2010 Optical Society of America.
CitationLee J-Y, Peumans P (2010) The origin of enhanced optical absorption in solar cells with metal nanoparticles embedded in the active layer. Optics Express 18: 10078. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1364/OE.18.010078.
SponsorsThis work was supported by the National Science Foundation and KAUST (King Abdullah University of Science and Technology). JYL would like to thank The Korea Foundation for Advanced Studies for its support.
PublisherThe Optical Society
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Mechanism of optical absorption enhancement in thin film organic solar cells with plasmonic metal nanoparticles.
- Authors: Qu D, Liu F, Huang Y, Xie W, Xu Q
- Issue date: 2011 Nov 21
- Enhancement of optical absorption in thin-film solar cells through the excitation of higher-order nanoparticle plasmon modes.
- Authors: Akimov YA, Koh WS, Ostrikov K
- Issue date: 2009 Jun 8
- Dielectric particle and void resonators for thin film solar cell textures.
- Authors: Mann SA, Grote RR, Osgood RM, Schuller JA
- Issue date: 2011 Dec 5
- Broadband absorption enhancement achieved by optical layer mediated plasmonic solar cell.
- Authors: Ren W, Zhang G, Wu Y, Ding H, Shen Q, Zhang K, Li J, Pan N, Wang X
- Issue date: 2011 Dec 19
- Triangular metallic gratings for large absorption enhancement in thin film Si solar cells.
- Authors: Battal E, Yogurt TA, Aygun LE, Okyay AK
- Issue date: 2012 Apr 23