The effect of the signalling scheme on the robustness of pattern formation in development
KAUST Grant NumberKUK-C1-013-04
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/599906
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPattern formation in development is a complex process which involves spatially distributed signals called morphogens that influence gene expression and thus the phenotypic identity of cells. Usually different cell types are spatially segregated, and the boundary between them may be determined by a threshold value of some state variable. The question arises as to how sensitive the location of such a boundary is to variations in properties, such as parameter values, that characterize the system. Here, we analyse both deterministic and stochastic reaction-diffusion models of pattern formation with a view towards understanding how the signalling scheme used for patterning affects the variability of boundary determination between cell types in a developing tissue.
CitationKang H-W, Zheng L, Othmer HG (2012) The effect of the signalling scheme on the robustness of pattern formation in development. Interface Focus 2: 465–486. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1098/rsfs.2011.0116.
SponsorsThis publication was based on work supported in part by NIH grant no. GM29123 and in part by award no. KUK-C1-013-04, made by the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), and by the Mathematical Biosciences Institute.
PublisherThe Royal Society
PubMed Central IDPMC3363034
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Stochastic reaction and diffusion on growing domains: understanding the breakdown of robust pattern formation.
- Authors: Woolley TE, Baker RE, Gaffney EA, Maini PK
- Issue date: 2011 Oct
- The scaling and shift of morphogen gene expression boundary in a nonlinear reaction diffusion system.
- Authors: Li WS, Shao YZ
- Issue date: 2014 Jun
- The morphostatic limit for a model of skeletal pattern formation in the vertebrate limb.
- Authors: Alber M, Glimm T, Hentschel HG, Kazmierczak B, Zhang YT, Zhu J, Newman SA
- Issue date: 2008 Feb
- A Model for Selection of Eyespots on Butterfly Wings.
- Authors: Sekimura T, Venkataraman C, Madzvamuse A
- Issue date: 2015
- Reaction-diffusion approach to prevertebrae formation: effect of a local source of morphogen.
- Authors: Dziekan P, Signon L, Nowakowski B, Lemarchand A
- Issue date: 2013 Sep 21