Testing for constant nonparametric effects in general semiparametric regression models with interactions
KAUST Grant NumberKUS-CI-016-04
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/599868
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe consider the problem of testing for a constant nonparametric effect in a general semi-parametric regression model when there is the potential for interaction between the parametrically and nonparametrically modeled variables. The work was originally motivated by a unique testing problem in genetic epidemiology (Chatterjee, et al., 2006) that involved a typical generalized linear model but with an additional term reminiscent of the Tukey one-degree-of-freedom formulation, and their interest was in testing for main effects of the genetic variables, while gaining statistical power by allowing for a possible interaction between genes and the environment. Later work (Maity, et al., 2009) involved the possibility of modeling the environmental variable nonparametrically, but they focused on whether there was a parametric main effect for the genetic variables. In this paper, we consider the complementary problem, where the interest is in testing for the main effect of the nonparametrically modeled environmental variable. We derive a generalized likelihood ratio test for this hypothesis, show how to implement it, and provide evidence that our method can improve statistical power when compared to standard partially linear models with main effects only. We use the method for the primary purpose of analyzing data from a case-control study of colorectal adenoma.
CitationWei J, Carroll RJ, Maity A (2011) Testing for constant nonparametric effects in general semiparametric regression models with interactions. Statistics & Probability Letters 81: 717–723. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.spl.2010.11.002.
SponsorsOur research was supported by a grant from the National Cancer Institute (CA57030). Carroll's research was also supported by Award Number KUS-CI-016-04, made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
JournalStatistics & Probability Letters
PubMed Central IDPMC3124863
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Testing in semiparametric models with interaction, with applications to gene-environment interactions.
- Authors: Maity A, Carroll RJ, Mammen E, Chatterjee N
- Issue date: 2009 Jan 1
- Estimation and testing for the effect of a genetic pathway on a disease outcome using logistic kernel machine regression via logistic mixed models.
- Authors: Liu D, Ghosh D, Lin X
- Issue date: 2008 Jun 24
- SIMEX and standard error estimation in semiparametric measurement error models.
- Authors: Apanasovich TV, Carroll RJ, Maity A
- Issue date: 2009 Jan 1
- Semiparametric regression of multidimensional genetic pathway data: least-squares kernel machines and linear mixed models.
- Authors: Liu D, Lin X, Ghosh D
- Issue date: 2007 Dec
- Semiparametric estimation of covariance matrices for longitudinal data.
- Authors: Fan J, Wu Y
- Issue date: 2008 Dec 1